💉 41 💉Aftershock

"what time is it?" I groggily asked as I sat up in my bed the morning after the disaster, also known as prom. The curtains and shades were drawn tightly but sunlight still forced its way through any visible crack, its golden slits appearing on my walls illuminating the various drawings and paint streaks that were strewn and plastered about. One of those drawings so elegantly covered in golden sunlight was a sketch of Jane with her wonderful curly hair, and pink colored cheeks, a crown of daisy's adorned her head as a butterfly landed itself on one of the flowers. That was one sketch that would stick with me for the rest of my life, never will it be burned like all the rest. I would make sure of it.

pulling the strap of my dress up, I glanced over at the stirring lump known as my boyfriend and smiled at the sight. Furrowing his eyebrows he slowly revealed his beautiful brown eyes. Slowly his iris made their way to mine, his lips slowly growing into a smirk as he saw that my make up was now faded and gone, my red glossy eyes faded with it. His clothes were still on as were mine, the only article being our shoes as we just climbed into bed together that night, no funny business needed as he watched me smoke cigarettes and talk about all sorts of things until the energy from prom queen was gone and the steady feeling of sleep washed over the two of us. After that we just gave into the ethereal feeling of sleep.

from the small pounding headache I was having I could tell the buzz was mild, my drinking hadn't gotten out of hand like I suspected, which was great. My memories of prom wouldn't become blurred by alcohol, my memories of such a roller coaster of a night wouldn't be marred by liquid courage it would be instead remembered in all its glory.

"who keeps track of time anymore?" giggling I playfully hit his shoulder and felt his arms snake around my waist, pulling me down beside him I struggled to fight against his pull but I was no use and fell back against the pillows. my hair sprawling out amongst the black sheeted pillows as I was soon rolled over on to my side by Steves arm, my eyes no longer faced the ceiling but instead I saw Steve who just smiled and giggled as he pulled me close to his crinkled shirt, the fresh smell of linen and acrylic paint filled my senses. Kissing the top of my head he buried his nose in my hair and sighed, his warm breath ticked the top of my head causing me to giggle, and him to laugh in amusement.

"that's a good question lover, who does keep track of time? I surely don't as you can tell." chuckling he watched as my arms and hands search around on the floor for my pack of smokes, chuckling he saw that my hands were most likely no where near the small box and decided to give me some help by guiding them to my wandering finger tips. Quickly grabbing one I reached on my other side for my precious lighter and held the small orange flame up to the end of the stick, the sweet scent of death filling my senses and undoing my nasty headache as I rolled onto my stomach to look for the ashtray I kept hidin' underneath a pile of books. While rummaging I happened to hear my dear lovers raspy voice from beside me, his lips moving as it ended in a question. A ridiculous question if you ask me, yet a question I didn't have a legitimate answer for.

"why do you smoke?"

"why don't you?" smirking I pulled the ashtray half way out from its hiding place and tapped the ash from my cigarette in it. Putting the stick back up to my lips I inhaled the deathly smoke, threw my head back and blew the smoke up at the ceiling, the cloud quickly disappearing as it reached the maximum height, trindels of it flowing out from the end of the cancer stick as I watched it rise and fade like a colorless sunrise.

"good question, I should start." shaking my head at his words I grinned and looked at him from the corner of my eye, his body facing me as he rested his head in the palm of his, propped up arm, eyes never leaving mine as his eyes twinkled with admiration. Such a habit like mine shouldn't be embraced, it's nasty going through the detox of it all, you lash out more, you get cold sweats and the chills, all the while the people you know and loved watch you suffer and bare through it like a champ. The first time mom caught me she made me go through that horrible process for a week and that entire week I did nothing but grit my teeth and bare it, no music, nor motivation to paint could get me through that week.

"it's a nasty habit to get into ya'know."shrugging, he snaked his other arm around my waist and pulled me into his side, cigarette still in-between my fingers as I slowly brought it towards my lips again. Kissing my cheek, I felt a blush crawl up there back of my neck and slowly spread itself to my cheeks. His compliments were giving me a feeling that I never felt before, it was like he genuinely meant the things he was telling me and that his kisses and touches of affection were affectionate! I was amazed to say the least, that love could actually feel like this, since the only man to have loved me treated me like shit I didn't know if that was what love felt like. But all that changed when I kissed Steve last night, that was real love above anything else, it was then I knew that love was a beautiful sensation and that lover boy beside me did really care for me.

"I like nasty habits, it's why you're mine." My blush now turned bright red became more evident on my pale cheeks as I took a drag and blew a small puff in his face, the scent making his face twist in disgust. Shaking my head I tapped some of the cancer sticks ash in the tray and flashed him a toothy smile.

"nice one." the sudden sound of the door opening made me quickly snuff out my cigarette and grab a random perfume bottle that I had lying about. Spraying a couple of spurts, the sweet scent masked the smell of death and just as soon as it had the door opened all the way revealing my brother. My once tense features now suddenly relaxed as I realized that it wasn't my mother who would gasp and nearly faint at the sight of another cigarette between these lips.

"hey Mav, mom w-OH MY GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING!" rolling my eyes at my brothers sharp tone I sighed and sat up to revel the top half of my chest which was still covered up by the dress I was wearing, Steve rolled on to his back and showed off the wrinkly white button down and black dress pants that he still had on from the night before. We wanted to give my sibling as much, conformation that we didn't do anything last night, as possible. His face was pale and his hands blocked his eyes at the sight of us lying together, it was as if he had just caught a glimpse at what hell was like.

"Calm down curly fries, we didn't do nothin'. " groaning and stretching my cramped limbs I got up and wobbled off of my mattress before walking over to my bedroom door. My body blocking his view of Steve who was at the current moment holding my lighter in his hands and squinting at the tiny print.

"god, Mavis! you really had to hook up with my new friend Steve?! out of everyone I'm friends with you just had to pick the new one!?" his ranting was starting to give me a super bad headache. I guess my buzz wasn't so minor after all, and my karma for getting drunk was not being able to relieve it with a cigarette. Furrowing my eyebrows at another hit of pain, that then faded away, i groaned and squeezed my eyes shut.

"sh,sh,shhh, why are you still screaming?" I whispered as I put a finger to his lips. Scowling at me he smacked my hand and continued on with his little speech.

"I'm not screaming I'm just upset that's all."

"whatever. And your reason for intruding is?" I asked, trying to get right to the point of things before we became side tracked which was pretty often.

"breakfast, mom says Steve is invited also." at the mention of his name I looked back at Steve who had put my lighter down and was now looking at me with equal fear. Eyes, just as wide as mine, as he realized that my mom, the head of house hold, the disciplinary officer, had discovered the secret I was attempting to hide. God only knows what she's planning to say or do once we come out of hiding.

"shit, mom knows?"  

"knows? she walked in your room an hour ago and nearly screamed." smacking a hand to my face I groaned and lightly bashed my head against the door frame. It was then I began to remember hearing a rather loud gasp when I was sleeping, but I paid no mind to it thinking it was just a part of my dream. But little did I know that it was my mother finding me with a boy in my bed.I feel absolutely terrible for nearly scaring her out of her wits like that! and the evidence of that shame and embarrassment was written all over my face.

"is she mad?"I asked with my bottom lip between my teeth.

"no just a little upset, she'll get over it."sighing I mucked up his brown curls and shut my bedroom door as he walked away from me. Grumbling about how grateful he was for me leaving soon. Truth be told, he was going to miss me the most. He was going to write me everyday and send me long and dramatic letters about how much he misses and loves me and i would laugh and cry at every word that was written. And as much as I rarely showed it, I was gonna miss the fucker as well.