Promise? Promise.

*Astacia's POV*

My best friend Hayes and I sat on his couch sharing earphones and listening to music. Hayes and I have been best friends since we were really young. We're joined at the hip.

"You have an interesting taste in music." I said to him.

"I guess you can say that."

"I'm bored, can we go outside? It's so nice out." I took the earplug out of my ear. Hayes took his out and yawned.

"Yeah, sure. We could sit by the lake." We got up and went to the lake. Hayes set up a blanket on the coast of the lake.

"This weather is so perfect." I said.

"I know. Oh, I brought Oreos." Hayes smiled proudly and took out a box of Oreos.

I laughed. "You're awesome."

"I know, I know."

We sat down silently eating our Oreos and staring at the beautiful scenery in front of us.

"...Astacia?"

I turned to Hayes. "Yeah?"

"I need some advice from a girl I trust." Hayes looked down.

"I'm here. What's up?"

"T-there's this girl I've really liked for a long time. And I don't know if she likes me back. How can I find out how she feels about me?" Hayes asked.

I shrugged. "I guess you can ask her if you're really curious."

"Do you like me?" Hayes asked quickly.

"What_wait, me? Y-you're asking me?"

"Uh..yeah." Hayes said.

"I, uh, always thought of us as best friends and..nothing more than that."

I could tell that Hayes looked really disappointed. "Oh...I shouldn't have asked."

"But I've liked you for a long time."

Hayes's head jerked up. "What? You just said that we're nothing more than friends."

"I know. But I've liked you for a long time. I was just worried if it'll ruin our friendship." I said nervously.

"Astacia.." Hayes grabbed my hands. "Our friendship won't be ruined. I promise you."

"Promise?" I stuck out my pinky finger.

"Promise." Hayes locked his pinky with mine and then leaned in to kiss me. It felt so different, but it was a good kind of different. I felt sparks fly.

I felt something I've never felt before.