Watching over him

"Thanks" he said turning away but leaving the door open for her to come in
She closed the door behind her
"Frieda said you were ill but actually you're pissed"
"No shit Sherlock"
"You were missing"
"I'm surprised you noticed. You seemed pretty busy"
"Fletch I'm sorry"
He sat on the sofa and closed his eyes
"Do you know where I went Jac?"
"No"
"I went to Albies"
"Oh"
"Yeah oh"
"Why did you get so drunk?"
"Well when you think you world is about to fall apart, a bottle of whiskey seemed the right choice"
"Fletch" she touched his arm and she was shocked when he flinched
"I saw you with the love of your life Jac. I sat and held your hand while you sobbed your way through the story of you two and then he turns up and I suddenly ceased to exist"
"Fletch that's not true"
"Oh So you didn't ignore the person you slept with last night and disappear into your office with the returning love of your life"
Jac sighed "he is no longer the love of my life Fletch. I just got a shock"
"Right"
"I can't talk to you when you're like this"
"Oh I'm sorry I'm not Mr Perfect"
Jac stood and raised her voice
"Fletch I told him to leave, I told him I was with you, I told him that I love you more than I have ever loved anyone - including him. I told him you are my absolute world"
"That's what Tony said"
"Who the fuck is Tony"
"Barman. Albies. He was listening when he brought your food. Then he found me in a snivelling, crying heap and I told him why, he worked out that I was Fletch"
"But you didn't believe him"
"I don't know. He was a stranger, the barman. I saw you together Jac. The casual touching of his arm the easy laughter"
"You have no idea how wrong you are Fletch. You should go back up and sleep it off. I thought we were solid, I thought you knew how much I care for you. I would never leave you"
"You're right I need to sleep this off. You can see yourself out"
Fletch got up from the sofa and stumbled. Jac caught him
"Come on, I'll help you upstairs"
He allowed her to undress him down to his boxers and tuck him into the bed in which they had shared such passion the night before. Fletch passed out almost immediately.
She went downstairs and found his house keys. She slipped out to collect Emma, intending to return to make sure he was ok.
As she pulled up outside Fletch's she saw Maggie and Mac returning from their walk
Mac seemed to recognise Jac and started pulling on his lead to get to her
Jac bent down
"Hey Mac. How you doing boy" she scratched his neck
"Hello dear. You must be Fletch's lady friend" Jac smiled at the old fashioned term
"Yes and this is my daughter Emma" Emma had started fussing with Mac
"Fletch's lot are coming to mine for tea. He rang earlier"
"Erm yeah I think he's feeling under the weather. I was just coming to check on him"
"Why don't you come to tea too Emma. Let mummy look after Fletch. You can play with Mac?"
"Can I Mummy? Please"
Jac laughed "ok baby. If it's ok with this lady"
"Maggie" she said " Of course it's ok. More the merrier"
With Emma packed off next door Jac went back into the house and went to sit in the armchair in his room watching over him