What do you want?

"What are you doing here?"
"I'm here for my mother's funeral. Can I talk to you?"
Jac silently gestured to her office. She was so shocked she didn't even look at Fletch.
If she had she would have seen him look like a ghost. His heart froze when he heard her say Joseph's name. During those 3 weeks he sat with her when she was in hospital, they spoke about past loves and heartbreaks.
Joseph Byrne was her biggest, most heartbreaking love of all. Even more than Jonny the father of her child.
Fletch silently went to his office and closed the door. He sat with his head in his hands
"How the fuck am I supposed to compete with that. With him. With their history?" He asked himself out loud
Then his inner voice said "come on Fletcher, they are ancient history. Water under the bridge. You're here right now"
But, he reasoned with himself. He couldn't forget the heart wrenching sobs which came from Jac as she'd spoken about Joseph. Their relationship had been complicated to say the least but when at last she admitted she loved him it sounded all consuming and she was devastated when he left with his baby son to be a GP. She couldn't leave her career.
What did he want with her now?
Fletch couldn't be here any longer. He rang Maggie to get the kids looked after and headed  for Albies. He didn't care that it was only just lunchtime and he was supposed to be on shift. He ordered a whiskey and sat in a darkened corner of the familiar bar.
Meanwhile back on the ward Jac was trying to get over the shock and make sense of why Joseph was here. She had occasionally imagined what it would be like to see him again after all these years and how she would feel. She recognised the nostalgic affection but could she see love anymore?
"How are you? I'm sorry to hear about your mother" Jac said sitting behind the desk. She wanted a barrier between them
Joseph sat on the sofa "thank you. I know you two despised each other but thank you"
"How's Harry?" Jac attempted to move the conversation away from Lady Byrne
"He's well. I hear you have a daughter now?"
"That's right. Emma"
"Is her dad still around?"
"Well he is for Emma but we're not together. This is her" she turned the photo frame round. The photo frame that Fletch had brought down to her hospital bedside.
Shit Fletch. Her heart lurched. What must he be thinking
"She's very pretty. She looks like you"
"Joseph what are you actually doing here. What do you want?"
"You I think"