Chapter 17

Sodapop's POV
I couldn't stand seeing my little sister cry. I mean I know she's only a few minutes younger than me but she's my sister and that lawyer of Daxtyn's was butchering her with questions. When she said that this wasn't the first time that Daxtyn has raped her I just started crying and Darry and Pony had to comfort me.
"I can't stand it. I need to testify. They need to know about all the abuse." I whispered.
"Soda what are you-?" Pony asked but I ignored him and whispered to Courtney's lawyer.
"I want to testify. I've seen the abuse." I said.
Courtney's lawyer then said I wanted to testify and both lawyers went to the judge who would allow it after lunch.
"Soda you don't have to do this. I mean you saw how I was and I don't think I can stand to see you cry as well." Courtney said.
"Too late. When you said that it wasn't the first time Daxtyn had done that I started crying." I said and hugged my sister.
"I wish I could take your pain away. Cause what you feel I feel." I said and cried as I held my sister.
"It's gonna be okay. We're gonna be okay." Darry said and joined our hug and pulled Pony in as well. After our little family fest Courtney's lawyer pulled me aside and asked me a few questions and told me what to expect. When we went back into the court room Courtney came me one more hug.
"Thank you for being the best brother ever." She whispered in my ear and I was more determined than ever to testify.
I glared at Daxtyn as I sat in the chair they asked questions in and Courtney's lawyer asked me a few questions about the abuse.
"When did you first realize your sister was being abused?" My lawyer asked.
"In all honesty my brothers and I had no idea at first. Whenever she came home with a bruise we just assumed that she has been jumped by some socials. It wasn't until one night when we heard yelling outside and we saw Courtney and Daxtyn arguing. We then saw Daxtyn slap Courtney and I ran over followed by my brothers Darry and Ponyboy and I pushed Daxtyn. I was about to fight him for hitting my sister but Darry stopped me." I said.
"And then what happened? Did Mr Conners leave?"
"No not at first. It wasn't until our older brother Darry told him to get out of here that he left but not before he told our sister "to watch it if she knew what's good for her." I said.
"How was your sister after that?" Courtney's lawyer asked.
"She wasn't her usual self if that's what you mean. She started to become distant, kept to herself, barely ever had a smile on her face." I said.
Courtney's lawyer then asked me a few more questions and then it was that lawyer who was representing the piece of crap that is Daxtyn.
"Mr. Curtis are you and your sister close?" Daxtyn's lawyer said.
"Yes of course. We're twins. We tell each other everything and we feel what the other feels." I said
"And yet your sister didn't tell you about the abuse? Could it be that your sister liked it rough?" Daxtyn's lawyer said.
"Objection!" Courtney's lawyer said.
"Overruled." The judge said.
"No my sister ain't like that." I said.
"How do you know? If she clearly didn't tell you about the abuse or this so called rape that's she says happened." Daxtyn's lawyer said.
"My sister wouldn't lie. Daxtyn hurt my sister. I've seen him do it. All of my brothers have." I said angrily.
He then asked me a few more questions and then the jury left to decided the verdict.
"If they don't find him guilty I swear to God I'll kill him myself!" I said.
"Soda. Soda. Please calm down." Courtney said putting her hands on my face and caressing my cheek.
"I'm sorry I'm just so angry that you got hurt. It's my fault. I should have protected you." I said and hugged Courtney tightly.
"It's okay. I'm safe now." Courtney said trying to reassure me.
"It'll be okay Soda." Pony said.
"Whatever the verdict is we'll get through it." Darry said.
"They better put him away for life." I said.
"Even if it's just a few years I'm happy." Courtney said but I knew that was a lie. I could hear it in her voice. Just then our lawyer said the jury was back.
"How do you find the defendant?" The judges asked and I saw Courtney biting her lip nervously.
"Guilty on all charges." The juror said.
"Very well. I hereby-sentence Daxtyn Connors to 10 years. Court adjourned." The judge said. 10 years? He should have gotten life but seeing that bastard put away and my sister smiling again makes me happy.

"You'll pay for this Courtney! Just you wait!" I heard Daxtyn yell at Courtney as they dragged him out of the court room and we just hurried home.

What do you think? Should Daxtyn have gotten longer? Do you think Courtney should be pregnant or not? Who wants a character in the story? Who wants to play Courtney's new girlfriend? :)