Chapter 18

It's been a week since the trial and since then I have gotten my cast off and started work again. School has been nothing but bothersome. Everyone looks at me and whispers about me and I hate it. I wish I could drop out like Soda, but I know Darry would never allow it.

Today has been the worst at school and I was just ready to go home. I hated that people were talking about me. I was about to head to to my last class before lunch but I was slammed against my locker. I was expecting to see some socs but was shocked when I saw some greaser guys.
"You think you can turn in your own kind?" One guy said.
"How dare you turn in Daxtyn?" Another guy said.
"You don't know what he did to me!" I yelled.
"We don't care you don't turn in your own kind!"  One said and slapped me and then punch me in the gut.
"You better watch it Curtis." One guy said and pulled me up by the hair.
"I'd watch my back if I were you slut." One guy said and then all three of them walked away. I groaned in pain as I stood up and was about to head to lunch when the principal stopped me.
"Miss Curtis may I see you for a minute?" the principal said.
I sighed and followed him into his office and sat down at the desk.
"What is going on? What happened to your face?" The principal asked.
"Just some boys." I said.
"Do you know who they are?" The principal asked.
"No. Can I go now?" I asked.
"No actually I wanted to talk to you about your grades. It seems your falling behind in some of your classes." The principal said and I sighed. It's because I can't handle the pressure of everyone constantly looking at me.
"Which ones?" I asked.
"It seems you are falling behind in history and science. I'm afraid if you don't pick your grades up you'll have to repeat your sophomore year." The principal said.
"Is there any extra credit I can do?" I asked biting my lips nervously.
"I talked to your teachers and your science teacher Ms. Jackson said that you could do an experiment and write about it and if it was successful or not and why." The principal said.
"Okay. What about history?" I asked.
"You have to write to pick an important event in history and write about why it was important and it has to be two pages." The principal said.
"Alright." I said and left before he could say anything else and went to my last class of the day. After the last class of the day I went to my locker and grabbed my homework assignments and closed my locker.
"Hey sis!" Ponyboy said and showed up with Johnny.
"Hey what's up?" I asked.
"You going home?" Ponyboy asked.
"No I have to work." I said.
"Mind if Johnny and I tag along?" Ponyboy asked.
"Fine but please don't cause any trouble." I said .
"We won't." Johnny said.
We then headed to the diner I work at. I got there early so I could change and then I clocked in while Ponyboy and Johnny sat down. I waited on them and a few others. I'm just glad it wasn't super busy today. By the time work was done I walked home with Pony and Johnny.
"I'm heading to the lot guys." Johnny said leaving me and Pony.
"What happened to your face?" Pony asked.
"Just some guys at school. It's nothing." I said.
"Courtney." Pony said.
"Leave it alone." I said as we walked into the house and I saw Soda on the couch watching Mickey and Darry making dinner.
"Hey Pony, Hey...Courtney what happened?!" Soda said jumping up checking my face.
"It's nothing." I said.
"It's not nothing Courtney. Some guys at school is not nothing." Ponyboy said.
"Socs at school did this?" Soda said.
"No. Just some greaser guys." I said which shocked my brothers and I went to get some clothes to change into and shower. After my shower I put my pajamas on and sat at the kitchen table.
"So how was school today?" Darry asked as we ate dinner. Well my brothers ate. I wasn't that hungry.
"It was fine. Doing well in all my classes." Pony said.
"Courtney?" Darry said.
"Huh? What?" I said snapping out of my thoughts.
"How was school?" Darry asked.
"I don't want to talk about it." I said.
"Come on it can't be that bad." Darry said.
"I hate it. I wish I could just drop out." I said.
"No."Darry said.
"Why not? I'm barely passing history and science as it is and I can't handle people whispering about me and looking at me. I have gotten bullied by a bunch of guys just because Daxtyn's in jail." I said.
"Because education is important. If you focused on your studies we could put both you and Pony through college." Darry said.
"I don't care. Why can't I just work a job like Soda?" I said.
"Leave me out of it please." Soda said.
"You are going to school." Darry said.
I stand up from the table and glare at Darry.
"No I'm not! I'm tired of being expected of so much!" I said and ran out of the house.
"Courtney!" Darry yelled but I was already running out of the house not knowing my brothers are following me.