Chapter 21

Courtney's POV
Once we walked into the hospital and checked me in, Darry had to fill out a few forms. As Darry filled out the forms I was biting my lip and playing with my fingers nervously until someone held my hand. I looked up and saw Sodapop smiling at me.
"Everything is going to be alright. No matter what happens we're here for you." Sodapop said.
"Soda. I'm scared." I said and for once I needed my older brother. Even if Soda was only 10 minutes older than me it was times like these I truly saw him as my older brother.
"Don't worry Minnie Mouse! Everything will be alright." Soda said and Darry got up to give the forms back to the receptionist and sat with us again.
"Soda?" I asked.
"Do you think Darry will k-kick me out if I am pregnant?" I whispered to Soda.
"Of course not! Besides, I wouldn't allow it!" Soda said.
"You nervous Courtney?" Ponyboy asked me.
"Extremely." I said
"We'll get through this just like everything else." Darry said.
"Courtney Curtis?" A nurse called and I got up.
"Can my brothers come with me?" I asked the nurse nervously.
"Of course dear. Right this way." The nurse said and led me to a room. I sat down on the bed in the room and Soda sat in a chair by the bed and Darry and Ponyboy sat in two extra chairs in the room.
"The doctor will be right with you." The nurse said and left.
"I can't do this. I'm so scared." I said and started crying.
"Shh it's going to be alright Courtney." Soda said and hugged me.
"What are we going to do if Courtney is pregnant? I know you said we'll figure it out Darry and get through this but what is going to happen?" Ponyboy asked.
"It'll be up to Courtney, but the options are probably gonna be an abortion, adoption or to keep it." Darry said
Just then there was a knock on the door. A kind looking lady in her thirties came in.
"Courtney Curtis?" She asked.
"Yes. That's me." I said and wiped my tears.
"Hello I'm doctor Martinez. You can call me Juliana though if you wish. So I see we are here to see if you are pregnant?" Dr. Martinez said.
"Yes." I said and held Sodapop's hand.
"Are you the father?" She asked looking at Sodapop and my brothers and I just laughed.
"Did I miss something?" Dr. Martinez asked.
"None of us are the father. We're her brothers." Darry said.
"Okay. Well if you'll lay down and lift up your shirt we can see if you are pregnant. Dr. Martinez said.
I laid down down and lifted up my shirt and she put some cold gel on my stomach making me shiver.
"Sorry. Should have warned you it's a little cold. Now let's see here." Dr. Martinez said and used her wand thing to look around.
"So is she pregnant?" Ponyboy asked.
"Let me just adjust this." Dr. Martinez said and moved the wand. "Well Miss Curtis it looks like you are indeed pregnant. Three weeks to be exact." Dr. Martinez said and I started crying.
"That's your baby." She said pointing to a little dot on the screen and I had a shocked look on my face with tears in my eyes.
"What's happens now?" Darry asked.
"Well if she decided to keep it we'll have to have to set up monthly appointments." Dr. Martinez said.
"And if I don't decide to keep it?" I asked.
"In that case there is is either abortion or adoption." Dr. Martinez said and gave me a rag to wipe off my stomach and printed out an ultra sound and handed it to me.
"The good thing is that you are early enough to get an abortion still if you decide to do it. I'll let you discuss this." I said and she left the room.
"What do you want to do Courtney?" Darry asked.
"I don't want to do abortion. I-I don't think I c-could live with myself knowing I killed a baby." I said and cried and Soda hugged me and Darry bent down in front of me and held my hand Pony stood by Darry.
"So that leaves adoption or keeping it. Right?" Ponyboy asked.
"Correct. What do you want to do?" Darry said.
I just looked at Darry and started crying harder. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Darry." I said.
"Shh it's okay. It's not your fault. Like Soda said this is Daxtyn's fault. It's gonna be okay." Darry said.
"I-I w-want to keep it." I said.
"Are you sure?" Darry said.
"Yes. I-I can't kill my baby and I-I don't think I could ever be happy k-knowing someone else is raising my child." I said.
"How are we going to afford it?" Ponyboy said.
"We'll figure something out." Sodapop said.
"Soda's right, we'll figure something out and go from there. Let's go home." Darry said and helped me up and we walked out and I wiped my tears.
"Have you decided?" Dr. Martinez asked when we left the room.
"She's keeping it. What now?" Darry said.
"We'll schedule your 6 week visit." Dr. Martinez said and then scheduled another appointment for me three weeks from now.
We then left the hospital and got in the truck and headed home. The whole ride was silent while I just looked at the picture.
"You okay Courtney?" Ponyboy asked.
"Yeah I'm just scared and nervous." I said.
"It'll be okay. You have Soda, Darry and I to help you." Ponyboy said.
"Thanks Ponyboy." I said just as we arrived at the house. We all got out of the truck and headed inside. Once inside I collapsed on the couch tiredly.
"Tired sis." Sodapop said with a laugh.
"Yes." I said and laid on the couch and just fell asleep.