Chapter 53

53.1

As Henry sets you down, and Josh gets back up you all start laughing. Then Josh pushes Connor into the sand and says "You got sand in my mouth, you deserved that." You and Josh lay towels out next to the two that Connor and Henry already had sitting there and sit down on them. You take off your skirt, and Josh his shirt so you're both now only in swimming suits. You take out the suntan lotion and start rubbing it on your arms and torso. Next you move to your legs, and then put some on your face and remove your hat momentarily to put it on your head just incase. Scalp sunburns are the worst. "Let me get your back for you." Josh says, taking the bottle from your hands. You lay flat on your stomach with your head turned to the side Josh is on, and he says, "Is it okay, if uh," he clears his throat and says "Well your strap of your swimsuit is kinda thick, is it okay if I unhook it for a moment to get your entire back." You smile, despite knowing Josh probably can't see it because you can only see his knee over the brim of your hat. "That's fine." you answer cheerfully. You feel it get untied, and the strings fall to the side, because you're laying on your stomach, as long as it's retied before you stand up nobody can see anything anyway, so you let yourself relax. Josh puts some lotion on one hand, and then rubs his hands together before you feel them both on your upper back, gently massaging the lotion into your skin that's more pale than normal from your chemo. He continues rubbing his hands back and fourth, spreading the lotion across your back, and working it into your skin as the hot sun beats down on you. You feel beads of sweat forming in the small of your back and the back of your neck. It's a weird feeling, because lately you've been nothing but cold in the hospital. Finally, you feel Josh tie your swimsuit back to how it was, so you turn over and sit up. "thank you," You say, "Now it's my turn to do you!" you say, before realizing that probably wasn't the best choice of wording. Josh and Henry both laugh, so you do too, unable to feel embarrassed around these guys. "What?" Connor Complains, "What did I miss?" Josh smirks at him, "Oh nothing, little brother. We were just talking about how much more sex I have than you." Connor leans over and punches Josh, "I love you, but you're just a mean sometimes." Josh happily turns to his stomach and hands you the lotion. You squeeze some into your hands, rubbing them together before putting them on Josh's back and slowly massaging the lotion into his skin. You're happy to help Josh reach his back since he can't, but you're also selfishly happy that you get to spend your afternoon in the hot sun rubbing your hands up and down Josh's back. He could have any girl do this for him, and he chose you. That means more than anything to you right now, that Josh chose you of all people. After you're finished with the lotion, you continue rubbing Josh's back for awhile. You're not complaining about continuing, and Josh isn't complaining about the back massage so you decide everyones a winner. "I remember when you didn't have a boyfriend.." Henry says out of the blue, "and you gave me back massages like that." You and Josh both laugh, and Josh says, "Go ahead and give Henry one, I'm gonna go to that shack down there and get us a few drinks, what do you want?" "Diet coke Please!" you say, thinking about how great a ice cold soda sounds on the warm day. You pat your towel and have Henry sit in front of you, as you start to give him a back massage. Josh returns a few moments later with a diet coke for you, a bud light for himself, a mountain dew for Connor, and a water for Henry. "I kinda forgot I'm twenty-one.." you say giggling as you see his beer, "I guess I could've got a beer." Josh smiles but is interrupted by Connor saying "Is it my turn for a back massage yet?" You shove Henry out of the way, giving Connor one as well. After a few more hours of laying around, the boys kicking a soccer ball around and throwing a Frisbee, and you reading, you all decide to go into the water. At first you wade in only about knee deep, but soon Josh picks you up and you both go flying under the cool ocean water; coming back up mid-kiss like in romantic comedies.. but in real life. You splash around with your three boys for awhile, and then go back and dry off. The suns starting to set in the distance now, so you head back towards the parking lot, deciding what to do next.