Chapter 59

59.1

[Regular POV] You walk out of the hotel and down the street thinking about where Josh would be least likely to look for you. You know him well enough to know that he will come looking for you. You flashback to the first time you and Josh ever left the hospital together and think of running into Raymond and how painful it was. And you remember thinking that you never wanted to know as much about Josh as you knew about Raymond for this reason exactly. For the reason that when it ends, you have all this useless information about Josh that's so painful to think about and means nothing. You don't know your way around Toronto. You don't have a place to go or anything to do. You walk down the street seeing a Starbucks and decide to go in, suitcase still dragging behind you. You set that and your back pack down near a booth and go up to order. "What can I get for ya?" The tall blonde worker asks you. "Just a wild berry smoothie please" you say. "What's the name?" He asks. "Savannah." You answer and watch him write it on the cup. You pay for the drink and he tells you that he'll bring it out when it's ready so you go and sit down. A few minutes later he walks up and sets it down in front of you, "I'm Levi," he says, "just holler at me if you need anything else alright?" "Thank you" you answer, taking the first sip of your smoothie and looking at your phone. You're surprised you don't have any missed calls from Josh. You scroll through Instagram, trying to figure what you're going to do next when the first call comes. You decline it quickly and immediately another call comes through. "I don't want to talk to you right now." You text Josh, getting tears in your eyes for the first time. You surprisingly realize that it's the first time you've started to get tears in your eyes, and Josh texts back and says "just give me two minutes. And if you still don't want to talk after those two minutes I promise I will stop calling." You don't text back, but the next time he calls, you answer saying "What do you need to tell me?" Josh starts talking quickly saying "Savannah you have to listen to me. I just overheard Gaby talking on the phone and she said that we didn't actually have sex. She said that she drugged me. And that she just wanted to give you what you deserved. I don't know what that even means but all I know is that she said we never actually had sex." "Oh so you just happen along Gaby talking out in the open for you to hear saying she drugged you and did just to get back at someone she hasn't talked to for four years." You say, "do you realize how ridiculous that sounds Josh?" "I realize how ridiculous it sounds yes. But you have to believe me. Please baby, you have to believe me." Josh pleads with you. "Give me one reason to believe you. Give me anything that could help me believe you." You say. You want to believe Josh. You want him to give you a reason to trust him. You want him to be telling the truth. Josh is silent for a minute and then says "Jasmine. Jasmine was the name of the girl who she was talking to. Does that mean anything to you?" You freeze at the name. Jasmine was Gaby's best friend in high school. There's no way Josh could have know that. There's no way Josh could have just pulled that name out of no where without hearing Gaby say it. You're quiet for a second and Josh waits for your answer. "God Josh I want to believe you." You finally say. "Then believe me." He says desperately. "I can't just trust you. I need more proof than a name. I'm sorry." You say. "Well I have a plan to get you that proof. But you have to tell me where you are. And if you still don't believe me after this.. I guess I'll just let you be. If this doesn't work, I'll buy you a plane ticket back home and I won't bother you again." You're quiet again. Josh wouldn't say something like that if he didn't have full confidence in what the results of whatever is plan is are going to be. "Sav say something this is killing me." Josh says quietly. "I'm at the Starbucks on Cavern." You answer, and Josh says "I'll be there in 5 minutes." Just as he said, five short minutes later he walks through the door. He sees you instantly and walks over, hands in the pockets of his basketball shorts, with a wrinkled tshirt and messy hair that reminds you he just rolled out of bed before this whole thing started. He scratches the back if his head as he walks up to you. You're both quiet, just staring into each other's eyes a few feet away from each other. Finally you speak first saying "so what's your plan?" Josh slides into the booth across from you, looks you in the eye and says "alright here's what we're going to do."