Chapter 19

*Josh's POV* "Well while I was in the hospital, I had this best friend. Her name was Rachel, and she was really the only friend I had who I could relate to. She was my age, we both were bald kids with cancer who grew up in hospitals. It was just right. And then she died, and after that I uh, well I guess I just was afraid to connect with my other roommates.. which is part of the reason that I think I was so mean to you about you being my roommate.. I'm sorry.. It just.. It's hard to forget things like that." I feel so bad for Savannah, that I have trouble finding the right words. "I'm.. I am really Sorry Savannah.. I uh, I don't really know what to say but please don't be sorry for something like that. It's not your fault." Savannah has tears going down her face now, so I lean foreword and wipe them off her cheeks with my thumbs and she continues after a small grin. "Well after I left the Mayo, my parents, my brother, and I went back home. They had been leasing an apartment near the hospital and my brother was doing school online. With that and all of the hospital charges, they really started struggling for money which I felt was my fault. But when we got back home everything started to look up after about the first year. My brother and I were both back in school, my hair was growing back. My parents both had their jobs back fulltime so we were just doing better. When I was 15, and 16 I was actually really happy. I had friends and family. I was just living the life I was so fortunate to have." She says and then stops again, more tears filling her eyes. I give her an easy going smile and once again she continues. "Then three days before my 17th birthday everything changed. When Henry and I got home from school, there was two cops waiting for us at the front door. They told us to go inside and sit down, and I knew something was wrong. But I never expected what they told us. They told us that my parents had been in a vehicle heading home from what we later found out was the mall. They had my gifts in the backseat. They were there because of me." She says, at that point so many tears streaming down her face I just have to let them fall. "They told us that they had died in a head on collision. They died going to get my birthday presents. They died because of me. They died, and I should've been the one who did. They gave my everything. And all they get in return is death." At that point she breaks down sobbing, so I pull her up into my arms. She puts her head in my chest and I hold her while she cries, not saying anything. There's nothing I can say to make this better. There's nothing I can say that will make this girl loosing her parents at 17 okay. I just hold her while she cries. She sniffs and says "That's why I was so upset about your accident being all over the news. There was nothing about my parents on any news channels. and they died. I just, it hurts that nobody cared." "I'm sorry Savannah. There's nothing I can say to make you feel any better. I know that. But just know I'm always here for you okay, even after we leave this place?" I tell her. "thank you Josh." She says, "I'm sorry I treated you so poorly." "Don't be sorry." I tell her, meaning it.   "Anyways. After that, we packed up and left Minnesota. We came here to live with my grandma. She's basically the only family I have. I mean I have a single uncle who lives in Alaska, and another uncle.. my dad's brother, who has a wife and two kids. But he can't even look at me, and really Henry anymore. Henry looks identical to my dad when my dad was young, so we don't talk to them much anymore. So since then, I haven't been back to Minnesota, it just brings up too many memories. We moved here. Since then things have been rocky. My grandma has been great to us though. And Henry, well ever since he had Rosie at 16, he's been really responsible. Things were starting to look up again, and then this happened. And then Raymond broke up with me. And now I'm wondering what else can possibly happen to me that will make my life even worse." I feel so bad for her, but she knows that. It's clear she's used to people pitying her. But I actually do feel really bad. I say the only thing I can think of, "I'm sorry if I made your life worse too Savannah, I'm really trying my best to make it even just a little better." and then she says something that makes me feel like I'm on top of the world. "Josh you were right, I was just hiding. But you were also wrong, because you've done nothing but make my life better." And after that she does something even better, she lifts her head up off my chest, and reaches her lips onto mine.