Chapter 44

You and Josh buy your tickets, and then board the trolley that's taking you to the mountain. The trolley takes about half an hour, because you have to get out of the city before you can make it to the mountain. Josh had just randomly picked something you've always wanted to do, downhill tubing. You picked a package that brings you to the bottom of the mountain a skiing and snowboarding company owns land on, and then you board a ski lift that brings you several hundred feet up the mountain. When you get to the top, you receive big intertubes, either individual ones or, like you and Josh chose, couple tubes, and you go through a series of intertube "Courses" instead of skiing or snowboarding.When you and Josh get off the trolley with many other couples, you sit through a short seminar about rules and safety regulations, and then sign a waiver that basically says if you fly off the edge of the mountain the company is not at fault. After that, you board the ski lift. It's a bit scary at first, but Josh puts his arm around you and pulls you in close, making the gentle rocking back and fourth when you're several hundred feet above the ground not nearly as scary. Because the ski lift has to stop every time a new person gets to the top, it goes very slowly and you stop a lot, but you don't mind. Just more time in Josh's arms and you're not complaining about that. Every time you look over at him, the words "I love you" just run through your mind and you can't wait until the perfect time to tell him, not knowing when the opportunity will approach. "This was the perfect idea Josh, I've always wanted to do this, but Raymond was afraid of heights." Josh tenses and then says "Can't we just forget about that loser." Sort of joking, but also sort of serious. "I'm sorry.." you say, "It's just that he was my best friend for over two years and then my boyfriend.. so most of my memories of LA are involved with him." Josh sighs and says "I guess I can't blame you for that, but will you do something for me." "Of course." you answer, "Anything." "Just try and focus on the new memories we're making together, instead of the old ones you have with him." You lean over and kiss his cheek, to scared to aim for the lips this far above the ground and say "That sounds like the perfect plan.." you pause for a second and say "I can't wait until all the memories that come to mind when I do something new are with you." Josh smiles and says "I just hope you're not planning on talking to a new boyfriend about me the way you talk to me about Raymond." "I wouldn't dream of it." you say to him. You talk quietly the rest of the way up the mountain, cuddling together. You'd like to think it's because you need warmth, but really you just like being close to Josh.. It's a beautiful February evening, even in the high elevations of the mountains. Finally you get to the top of the lift, and are given your couple tube. You get to the first hill and Josh sits in the back, you between his legs right in front of him. You get pushed down the starting spot and follow the hill to a flat portion of the mountain, where you get off and wait in a short line for the next course. In line you take pictures together, talk, and kiss like the annoyingly obnoxious couple you are on valentines day. You do this multiple more times, each ride getting a little more fun, a little more fast, and a little more entertaining. Finally you reach the last one, and go zooming down to the valley of the mountain, where you return the tube, take a selfie on your phone, and return to the trolley.