Chapter 34

The sound of heels clicking on the pavement was all that was heard when she walked through the elevator doors, her pace turning the corner to spot the body of her clone up ahead, her blood painting a splattered picture all around her torso, like a haunted rosy aura.

Ada continued walking closer at a reasonably slow pace, her eyes glued to the body that inched closer, her mind recalling the various paragraphs and graphs she had read in the briefcase files, not to mention the vile plans from the obsessive man on the audio recorder. She finally understood Carla's intentions, but believed that her intentions were taken too far, although to be in her position would be reasonably understandable in the first place.

For a moment, a slight wave of pity shadowed her thoughts as her footsteps came to a halt, keeping distance between her and the dead broken woman. Ada could only imagine the rage Carla felt for realizing that Simmons played her like a child's toy, one where you mix and match bits and pieces until you find the perfect combination. Only this time, the changes were permanent, and Carla in her distraught state, wanted to take all those lovely toys Simmons had organized into a neat little society, and destroy it with a massive fire leaving nothing but chaos in its wake. Ada understood completely, but grew irritated at the fact that innocents had to die, and Carla, proudly wearing her stolen identity, framed Ada for it.

"Your hatred for Simmons drove you to tear down the world they created," Ada began to speak, watching as the wind caught the wisps of black hair on Carla's forehead, making them dance to an improper waltz. "But it was your conscience Carla, that saw you fail." For a brief moment, Ada turned her head slightly as she made a small huff, coming to a brief realization on why Carla didn't just speak out her true identity. Carla wasn't only mad at Simmons, but she was mad at Ada as well, since she was the woman Simmons fell for, and caused Carla's future demise. In Carla's mind, it only made sense for her to punish the woman Simmons turned her into. It was never Carla that did these actions, it was Ada Wong, and that's how she wanted it to be seen.

"After all," Ada looked back at her stiff body, "Isn't that why you brought me into this?"

Ada took another few steps forward, shaking her head slightly as if Carla was alive and listening, or simply paralyzed and left to bleed after her fall. "It's a shame," she continued, "If  you had only sought vengeance against Simmons alone," She stopped her walk, staring down at Carla's body as her own body casted a dark shadow compared to the bright artificial lights. "I would've helped you."

A faint clink disturbed Ada's mind, causing her feet to automatically take a step backwards. Her eyes caught the movement of a strange white looking tube falling from Carla's limp hands, watching the object roll away slowly before Carla's eyes bursted wide open, followed by her mouth as she emitted a gurgled growl, a strange grey slimy substance escaping the corners of her lips as her body began to writhe awkwardly, looking as if she was having a seizure.

The blood around her body quickly lost its red color, turning into the same murky grey as the thick liquid that escaped from her mouth, the struggling croaks growing even louder. With a long gurgling cry, her back arched off the ground, a thick coating of grey slime covering her entire body, seeping through her hair and clothes as her skin secreted it. It was like watching someone escape from a death trap of tough goo, thick ropes of the stuff attached to Carla's back holding her up as her arms waved maniacally in the air.

Before Carla even managed to stand up right, her head turned towards to Ada, her mouth wide open as she let out a belching scream, her throat muscles spraying out a thick stream of the goo towards Ada's direction. However Ada was quick to action, turning her body quickly and jumping over towards the side in a fast roll, landing upright just in time to see Carla fall forward in her own mess, her shoulders trembling as the coating of grey slime got even thicker and more opaque on her entire body.