[ chapter 2 - coffee ]

sorry tis a short chapter, ftes are usually gonna be like 500 words long since it's a really long, awkward conversation lmao

this fte in a nutshell:

mioko: this coffee is bitter, like my soul

akira: well then

-

For the first time in a while, Eiko wasn't talking to Mioko. The girl was sitting by herself, fiddling with her hair piece.

Well, maybe I should talk to her.

Mioko noticed Akira's shuffling over and waved, making room next to her for the archer to sit. "Hey ... good morning, Akira."

"Good morning," she tried to sound chipper, since most of the kids like these days, "I hope you have at least a little bit of sleep?"

"Ah, I don't think any of us," she looked down and pulled a mug full of coffee close to her chest. "H-Hopefully some caffeine will fix it."

"... you drink your coffee black?" Akira asked.

"Y-Yes! It's a bit of an unpopular opinion, but, y'know - I love bitter things, so ..." Mioko shrugged and took a sip. "It helps wake me up."

"Oh. That's interesting. I've never had coffee before." Akira had heard about it. What kind of drink needed to be made to taste good? It sounded like a scam to her. A good drink won't need changes, but to each of their own.

"Do you want to taste mine? I can put some in a spoon for you," the florist offered. She was picked up and picked up on an empty table, scooping some of the liquid up. Akira had to admit, it smelled really good. (i can't drink coffee black but that's when it smells the tastiest)

"Here. Make sure you blow it - it's a bit hot," she instructed. Akira nodded and lifted the spoon to her mouth.

She nearly choked on whatever demon liquid that was.

It was so bitter that it couldn't even get down that little spoonful. She put it down and coughed into her arm, trying not to gag.

Mioko giggled shyly. "Looks like it's a no-go then ... sorry ..."

"Um, it's fine," Akira shrugged, "to each of their own, some people like certain ... things ..."

Mioko giggled again. "It's fine if you think it's gross. A lot of people do. It goes both ways - for example, I can't understand why people eat any potato dish with ketchup."

"People eat potato dishes with ketchup? I thought that we only used butter," Akira murmured. Truth was told, she was only made baked potatoes, so she wouldn't know.

"Maybe it's just me, then, but I see it all the time," Mioko sighed. "You know, it's ... it's nice to talk to someone besides Eiko for a change. She's nice and all, but a bit clingy ..."

Nice?

"Clingy? How so?" Akira asked.

Mioko shrugged and was picked at her fingernail. "I don't like talking about people not here to defend themselves, but ... whenever I try to talk to others, she's always trying to interrupt, so ..." she trailed off, looking down at the table.

Wow. What a great friend she is.

Mioko trailed off, clearly feeling guilty for talking about Eiko. Akira sighed, rubbing the girl's shoulder soothingly. "It's okay to say how you feel, you know-"

ZZZZT! ZZZZT!

"Hey, losers! Get to the Ferris Wheel or perish!"

Oh, great.

"Don't be so mean, HejjiKuma!" HoggoKuma cried. "Two of them are already dead! We agreed not to do a motive so harsh!"

"Mo... tive?" Mioko repeated nervously.

"Seriously, man?!" Banri hissed. "That's wack! We can't keep doin' this!"

"S-So we need to kill again? I will admit, t-the trial was decently entertaining, b-but murder is still wrong," Jutaro sighed. "W-What a shame."

Tokihiko smiled sweetly. "I don't mind another!"

"Seriously, you two have issues..." Naoki murmured. "This is super fucked up."

"I-I don't want... to kill!" Raizo cried. "You... You're all my friends!"

"We're obviously not going to, sweetie," Eiko said soothingly, "after all, all of you are my besties!"

"Gross." Shinako replied.

"Even if we don't like it, we still have to go," Rei shrugged, putting a piece of paper in her book and placing it down, "after all, those hedgehogs are making us kill each other - who knows what'll happen if we don't go?"

She's right, sadly.

Akira stood up, nearly knocking over her chair. "She's right. We're obviously not gonna kill each other anymore, but if they kill us for not going, we won't get to survive and be friends. We'll be letting Ikue and Isamu down."

Chiemi and Shinako looked down sadly. The former also slowly stood up, nodding. "Yeah. I hate to admit it, but she's right. But hey, we're all gonna live and be besties! I see this as an absolute win!"

"Not the time to be quoting memes, but Akira's still right." Obokata smiled. "Even if a few of you are something to be desired."

"Eiko-" Shinako croaked through fake fits of coughing. Eiko either didn't notice or didn't say anything.

"Well, I'm gonna head over there," Akira nodded. She waved to Mioko and left the dining hall, not sure what in the world to expect.

[OBTAINED TICKET FRAGMENT! (2/6)]