[ chapter 5 - stranded, but not alone ]

Question of The Day:

Have you guys ever heard of YTTD (Your Turn to Die)?

I just started playing it. It's really good! A lot of good mystery elements, cool-looking characters... Honestly, I like Kokichi, but Sou does Kokichi's job better than Kokichi does. Smh, when some random dude named Soybean beats you at your own job

We need a YTTD x DR crossover right away. That'd be sick.

-

"Rei." Akira firmly put her hand on the historian's shoulder. "I know it's hard, but trust me when I say they would want- no, they need us to solve this case. Now, deep breath. What did you notice about the body?"

Rei wiped her face and nodded slowly. "I... couldn't put my forehead on his shoulder. It was too hot."

"Hot? Aren't dead bodies usually... cold?" Akira murmured to herself. "His body is hot? So is he still-"

"No. His body is covered in hot wax." She walked over and kneeled down, showing off the beautifully scented teal liquid running down Raizo's face and shoulder. "Either someone poured it on him or it spilled."

"Wax dries out quickly, right? Wouldn't it have hardened by now?" Akira asked curiously, running her finger in the wax and pulling away, idly watching it harden on her fingertip. It burned, but she didn't mind it.

"I thought that as well." Rei moved to the other side of his body. "Here, in his hand, he's holding a lit candle. It's kept extremely close to the wax - so much so that it stayed melted." She explained. "That was why his body wasn't cold. The wax and fire kept it warmed up. And another odd thing..."

She walked up to his face, eyes softening ever-so-slightly. "...He has his old hat on. His hair is blocking out his eyes. I was going to move the hair out of the way so it didn't catch fire, but now I realize I don't want to see his face."

...Poor Rei. I'm upset about it, too. He was a good friend to me, but...

[ TRUTH BULLET - Raizo's Body ]

"As for Tokihiko..." Rei stood up and brought Akira over to the negotiator. "His body is cold. No wax anywhere on him." She pressed a fist against his cheek. "And... there's blood dripping out of his mouth."

She looked over to Rei's side and noted it for herself. Truth be told, a small stream of blood was steadily dripping down Tokihiko's drooped jaw. It smelled odd... like chemicals or something similar to it. She looked over to the floor nearby, where his hand was suspiciously open, and saw a tiny bottle. She crawled over a step and picked it up.

A skull was on the label. It was a tiny dose of poison.

"No other wounds..." Rei murmured to herself. "Akira, you wandered off. Did you happen to find any way of knowing how he died? There was no injury on his body."

Akira swallowed thickly and wordlessly handed Rei the bottle.

[ TRUTH BULLET - Tokihiko's Body ]

-

"This room is destroyed." Rei huffed. "These two must've been eager to make a mess and- oh. Oh, no, no, no!"

"What is it?" Akira asked, bewildered as the historian bolted towards a pile of ash on the floor.

"That- that bastard! One of them burned all the diary entries!"

What?

"So... we weren't the only ones who knew of the diary entries?" Akira gasped. "One of them knew too?!"

"Whichever one it was... that's the person Yuuna was talking about in her diary entry. The one who keeps breaking the rules - the one she wanted to get rid off. The other one is the... disposable one."

"H-How dare she talk about them like they're just toys?!" Akira hissed through gritted teeth. "Raizo was our friend! And... Tokihiko! He did such extreme things, but his heart was in the right place! Neither of them deserved to die like this! It just- ugh! It makes me want to pull my hair out!"

"Calm down. The best - and only - thing we can do for them now is to solve the case and expose Yuuna. We should finish up here quickly if we want to find out what clues are on the outside." Rei said in a monotonous, yet comforting voice.

Okay... got it... burned diary entries. Noted.

[ TRUTH BULLET - Burnt Diary Entries ]

"...What's this?"

Rei keeled down and picked up a small object on the floor. "This... This is from my room. How did any of them get this without me noticing?"

"What is it?" Akira asked, kneeling down next to her.

"It's a small device that can record and playback audio. From the looks of it, it's been used." Rei turned around the device and pressed the ' playback ' button, the sound of white noise filling the air.

A small rustling filled the air. Footsteps echoed, and then the sound of a door opening filled the room.

"You're late." Said a  serious voice. "We don't have much time. I was going to allow you to write your last words, but it's too late. I already did mine."

"Sorry. I had to find an excuse." The other voice replies. "...Is it still on?"

"I'll tell you once we make sure the cameras are off." The voice replies. The sound of glass fills the air, and then more rustling, a squeak (possible an old piece of furniture) and then a pouring noise.

"I... thought there weren't any cameras." The other voice replies, and they sound a tad bit confused.

"Oh, they're in every single room. They just hid the one here." The other voice says in a playful tone. "There. Now they can't see anything. The plan's ready."

"Is it the same as before...?" The other voice asks.

"Yes. Just be glad that you won't be a blackened and that you won't be a victim." The voice grunts, before two pieces of glass clank against each other. "Now get this over with."

clopclopclopclopclopclopclopclopclopclop

The audio cuts off.

-

hmm