[ chapter 4 - the traitor revealed?! ]

Question of the Day:

Which death flags are raised right now?

everyone's

GODDAMMIT WHY AM I GETTING EMOTIONAL I ALREADY PLANNED THIS SHIT

[EDIT: If you have a sensitive stomach please proceed with caution. There is a scene in this part that includes disturbing imagery, and if you dislike people's eyeballs getting gouged out then maybe this chapter isn't for you. In any case, I'll put a warning when the scene does happen so people who don't want to read it can skip it.]

-

"Aww, how cute," Hejjikuma scoffed. He pulled out a loudspeaker. "All of you not at the control room get over here now! I have a special announcement."

Shinako's face paled.

Obokata pulled away from the group hug, holding his head and groaning. "This is nice and all, but I feel like I'm about to die if I lose any more air, so can we save it for tomorrow?" He asked weakly, then turned to Mutsumi. "...Sorry."

"Sorry? For what?" She frowned. "I should be sorry. I followed you here. I pressed that button."

"I worried you." He frowned, then perked up with a hopeful look. "...But... we're still heroes, right? Even if it didn't work? I did something useful for once, right?"

She smiled back, all of the emotions she could muster hidden up in there. "You were always a hero to me. You were always my hero. After every trial, I just wanted to give up, but guess who was there to comfort me until I felt like kicking again?" She nudged him weakly, though all of that confidence had dissolved much earlier. "Obokata, you're a hero."

His face turned rose red and he closed his eyes, close to tears. "Thank you."

Hejjikuma hopped on top of a pile of rubble outside the control room, signaling everyone to gather around him. "So... these fuckers here ruined my control room, so I have a double motive for you guys today."

"Ah, lovely," Naoki rolled his eyes. "This plan was fucked from the start."

"First of all... since you wanted to see outside so badly, I'll show it to you!" Hejjikuma growled, much to everyone's confusion. He pulled out a small remote. "Everyone... here's the outside world!"

Beep.

He pressed the button and soon enough, the barrier started to deteriorate, fading into the air and revealing the shiny golden gates. Akira wasted no time in grabbing Mutsumi and Obokata's hands and rushing over, the rest of the group following close behind, except for a solemn Tokihiko.

"Aaaand here we go!" He announced once it was fully gone. "Open up that gate!"

Akira stepped forward, removing the lock on the gate and pushing it open, only to reveal...

Nothing.

Void. Blackness.

"What?" She asked to herself, reaching out to the cold blackness and frowning.

This... This can't be all there is. There was grass out of here when I entered. Grass. Trees. Now there's nothing.

"Feel free to jump down and die!" Hejjikuma laughed. "There's nothing left of the outside world anyway! It's completely gone! This is all that's left!"

"Im... Impossible..." Rei breathed. "This can't be it."

"It is," Hejjikuma insisted.

Tokihiko looked away with a knowing look on his face.