Chapter 48

"Welcome to the Royal peninsula Sir, ma'am

"Welcome to the Royal peninsula Sir, ma'am."

Rafael tugged his coat as he and Susan walked past the doorman from inside the large hallway in the hotel. He heard Susan thank him with a huge smile on her face right before they headed to the reception.

Over fifteen hours on air, Rafael was trying so hard not to throw up at the reception. He had almost forgotten how much he hated flying, the distance was another reason he hated traveling so much.

"Welcome to the peninsula."  The white man at the reception told them with a smile on his face. It was the fakest and most unintended smile Rafael had ever seen. He exhaled and looked away, letting Susan deal with it so he didn't have to.

Five star hotel huh?

Susan leaned over, trying to return the smile too.

"We'd like to check into our room please. We called in to make a reservation a few hours ago." She told him "For your VVIP suite."

She placed A gold card on the table.
She watched the man hesitate for a second before he turned to the computer and typed a few words in it.

"Names please."

"Rafael Okonkwo and Susan Richards." Susan answered. The man raised his head slowly to have another look. How on earth was he supposed to spell that? Even though Rafael had a typical American accent, it was like he was sure his name didn't sound right.

"I'd like to see your IDs please."
He told them

Rafael exhaled just as Susan reached for his American passport and her Nigerian passport, she slowly dropped it on the counter. The man quickly reached for it. They watched him look at the passports carefully, one after the other

"You're Africans?" He looked up.

"Nigerians." She corrected "He has a dual citizenship." She slowly pointed at Rafael.

"Do you have a problem with that?" Rafael had to ask him.

"Uh," The man dropped the passports on the counter "Are you sure you're at the right place?" He asked them. "It's just that I don't think you're one of our executive customers. Our VVIP suits are meant exclusively for-" he looked at them both carefully, studying them from head to toe.

"I mean I just came but-" he paused. He was short of words. "There are more affordable hotels down the street, cheaper ones. I can ask someone to assist you get there if you'd like."

"What?" Rafael said almost in a whisper, he couldn't believe it.

"Maybe hotel Penislivia,"

"You have got to be kidding me." Rafael scoffed out loud, taking out his phone. He really didn't have the time to argue with anyone.