20

*Luke*

After spending some time with Peach's family, I took off. I was totally exasperated with the fact that Ashton was getting closer to the family members. He was obviously trying to take away all of the good things I have in life. But he's never going to make it. I will fight him back. And I knew exactly where to start. I drove to the closest libraby to chase something I was sure it's going to help. I parked the car and got in. Then,I started walking between the bookshelves focusing on the old copies released in 2002. 

_ Do you need some help, sir? A smiling girl appeared from behind me.

_ Actually I do... Evelyn, I said looking at the name tag on her t-shirt.

She was a pretty girl. Black hair held in a lose ponytail. Small frame. Cute face with some freckles covering her nose and some of her cheeks. Almond eyes and small keen nose. 

_ So what are you looking for...? She started her question.

_ Luke, I said, I'm looking for "Tears of the devil" Joy Reed.

_ Good choice, I like that book, she said moving around asking me to follow her.

_ Ah! Here it is, she smiled handing me the book.

I took the book and looked at its cover. It was a dark one with some shady watercolor giving the book a mysterious yet a melancholic look.

_ Some people say that the cover gives the book a surreal look so the content is totally imaginary. And I know that the writer has kept her life private for so long, but in a way I think that the book is actually an autobiography in which she tried to talk about the darkest parts of her life but she was concealing it with the presentation of the characters, she explained.

_ Isn't every writer trying to tell her or his story through the different characters, I pointed out.

Her eyes sparkled and she smiled.

_ I know. But I guess this writer is different. When I read the book for the first time, it looked pretty normal. But when I re-read it I had this theory, she stopped talking for a bit looking all excited, maybe this book was aimed at a single person. Like a letter or a message. Throughout the story the main character seemed disturbed. He was happy at the beginning but then a sudden turn of events made him lose his balance in life and a certain kind of sorrow was tainting his days. I don't mean to spoil, but the ending was the opposite of what happened to the real writer in real life. I mean just think about it, making the main character a male while the writer is a female? Come on this is a classic move to pervert the reader. You're going to think this can never be an autobiography when it actually is one. Plus, the mixture of feelings that the main character endured and all the confusion he was living, isn't that what happens to a person before commiting suicide? And to avoid all attention, what did Joy do? she wrote the perfect end. And I can tell you why. She had two points. One, she wanted that one single person she has wrote the book for to feel guilty because that could be the happy ending in her life but due to some mysterious reasons she found herself commiting suicide. And two, because she was trying to divert the reader's attention from the real goal from writing this whole story which is seeking out a specific person's attention, she finished a grin on the face.

_ Wow! How many time have you read this book? I asked surprised.

_ A lot! she smiled, it's my favourite book actually.

_ I'd never notice if you didn't tell me, I laughed and she laughed along with me.

_ Evelyn, hurry up we're closing, a man shouted.

_ I better get going I guess, I smiled at her and she nodded smiling back.

_ Hope you enjoy reading the book, she said as I walked to the circulation desk.

When I got in the car again, it was already getting dark. I sat there thinking about what Evelyn has told me. If what she's said is right that would explain a lot about Ashton.