48

*Luke*

It's almost been one hour since I've sent Evelyn the details about my latest discovery and I still got no reply. 

This time I decided to go to her. I know that I said I'll respect her desire to take some distance but I couldn't take it anymore. The text messages are not enough to make her forgive me. I needed her to hear me out. 

I parked the car and took a deep breath before getting out of its little space. I stood on the pavement looking at the library across the street. The road is the only thing that separates us right now and I wasn't sure if I should get in there. 

But my hesitation faded away when I saw her behind the showcase. She was busy adding some books to the already displayed ones. I watched as small strands of hair fell out of her messy bun to brush her face following her slow movements. But she caught me looking at her and I swear that our eyes met but she disappeared and I hurried inside the library. However, I couldn't see her anywhere. She was hiding from me obviously. 

A young man was standing behind the circulation desk eyeing me curiously. 

_ Can I help you with anything, sir? He asked.

I got closer.

_ Um, is Evelyn here? I questioned.

_ No, she's not, he lied.

It was crystal clear now that she didn't want to see me. Yet. I hope.

_ When will she come back? I insisted.

_ I don't know, he answered simply.

Dammit. He's not helping!

_ Okay. Can you deliver a message to her, please? I sighed.

_ Yea, whatever man, he said rolling his eyes.

He looked as if his mind was made up to hate me or something. Does he know why Evelyn was running away from me? He must think that I'm a monster. I wouldn't blame him if he hated my guts.

_ Please tell her that I'm sorry for everything I did. And I know that she needs some  space but I really missed her. Not only as a partner but also as a friend, I started.

I saw him stealing some glances at the door beside the desk. Was she hiding behind that door? For a second, I could picture her standing behind it, eyes closed and mind focused on what I was saying.

_ Tell her that I know that it may not be easy to forgive me but I just want her to try. In the small amount of time I spent with her I learnt a lot of new stuff but I didn't learn how to let her go, I continued glancing at the door too, fighting the urge to open it to see her.

_ And tell her that I'm still texting her the updates about the researches, not because I mean to hurt her even more but because I feel like it's our thing. When we work together, I feel like we're Sherlock Holmes and doctor Watson. And it just feels wrong to ruin their bond, I finished.

The look in the man's eyes changed and he didn't feel like he wanted to murder me anymore. He seemed surprised.

_ I'll... I'll try to remember all of that, he cleared his throat.

_ Thank you, I muttered looking at the door one last time hoping that Evelyn gets out of there but she didn't.