58

*Luke*
It's been four days since I've left the hospital.
Since then I was spending most of the time in bed. My body ached and I wasn't in the mood to do anything. Evelyn came everyday to take care of me.
"I know that you're mad at me and you probably don't want to be breathing the same air as me but I just can't leave you. I know you think you don't need me right now but I do." She said.
I let her. And I don't think I could spend one day without her help anyway.
But I didn't speak to her. Only small "thankyous" and quiet "hellos".
Today was no different. Evelyn showed up in the morning and prepared breakfast for me, then she quietly posed it on the nightstand along with my medicine. I pretended to be asleep in order to spare her and myself an awkward moment so she silently left the room for work. Once I heard the door clicking shut I waited a little then uncovered my body. I was bored, sick and tired of spending my days in bed. So, I pushed myself up and put my feet on the ground wincing at the pain these simple movements have struck.
I stood up feeling dizzy but I kept walking until I reached the door. I was heading to the kitchen when I heard the bell ringing. I turned startled. Was that Evelyn coming back to fetch something she forgot? No that couldn't be her. She would use her keys, mine to be exact. I stepped forward trying to think my heart pounding faster with every step I took. Could that be...her? Did Peach finally decide to show up? Evelyn said she only told Peach about the accident.
Did she come here to talk? Or just to see me?
Would she say something about it? Or would she just pretend that she didn't know yet?
The bell rang again and I held my breath opening the door.
My eyes closed.
Instead of Peach, I found her mother standing in front of me.
Her eyes wandered on my gaze then she threw her arms around me causing some pain in my side.
I bit my lip to block the groan that threatened to escape while Mrs Abigail took a step back.
_Luke, honey, what did you do to yourself? She asked her hand covering her mouth.
I stood there not saying a word.
Did Evelyn tell her about the accident? Did they contact each other? Was she even here about this? She was mad at me the last time we talked,was she still?
Noticing my surprise and my silence, Abby continued.
_I met Peach,she told me... I... She also told me that she knows...about you two... Am sorry Luke, she whispered.
I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out.
_ How did this happen? She asked, were you drunk? She narrowed her eyes at me, I can't believe this Luke! You could've died! You kids are going to give me a seizure someday! She shook her head.
_I... am fine Abby, I spoke for the first time and her head jerked up when she heard me talking.
_ Fine? I heard you left the hospital for days now! And you didn't even call me! You didn't even think about telling me. If it wasn't for Peach I wouldn't know about the accident! Not even a phone call for the love of God! How did you even spend these days with no one by your side to help,how? I thought I was like a mother to you, and I am the last one to hear about this! Could you imagine my surprise when I heard? She scolded me like a four-year-old kid as anger and concern flowed in her agitated body.
_ I thought you were mad at me... I mumbled looking down at my feet.
She was taken aback by what I said. Emotion slashed her face and her features softened.
_ Mad at you? How could I be mad at my son who nearly died? Did you think I would stay home happily leaving you alone?
Luke,dear, since Calum you became like a child of my own, I love you as much as I love my daughter. So just like I worried about Peach, I worried about you, she tilted her head at the side searching for my eyes and taking my hand in hers.
I looked at her feeling the warmth of her words penetrating me.
_ I tried to apologize...I came to see you that day... I said quietly.
_ I know... Jack told me today when I mentioned your accident, she murmured and I caught a glimpse of something that disappeared so fast that I couldn't exactly decipher.
_Come on in, I took a step to the side to let her in and to close the door behind her and when I did I saw a big suitcase by the stairs. I turned to her furrowing my brows in confusion but she just shrugged her shoulders looking away.
_ I thought I should come and stay here for some time to take care of you until you get better ,she explained, I still don't understand how you managed to do so in these days that passed.
_ Evelyn does, I answered her silent question.
She didn't add anything to that and brought her suitcase in.
_ Did you eat anything yet? She asked instead.
_ My breakfast is on the nightstand, I answered.
She nodded and brought it out of the room, posed it on the kitchen counter and ordered me to start eating.
I sat on one of the stools and I saw her looking for something in the cupboards.
She stopped when she found a bottle of gin in one of the cupboards making a small squeal.
And instead of pouring a glass she gulped the liquid down straight from the bottle closing her eyes shut.
My jaw dropped when I saw her doing that and she caught me staring because she looked like she's just remembered that I was there and she awkwardly wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.
_ Drinking in the morning huh? I looked down at my plate picking at the scrambled eggs with my fork.
She shifted in her place probably looking for an excuse.
_ You know pouring a glass is one thing, but drinking straight from the bottle that's a whole other thing, I said looking up at her. I paused when she looked down, her hair covering her face then I posed my fork,what happened Abby? I asked.
She lifted her head slowly, and I sucked in a deep breath when my eyes met hers.
She was crying, her cheeks soaked with tears.
She reached for a handbag that I didn't notice until now, and she took out an envelope.
With trembling hands she handed it to me and waited.
It was already teared up and on it was one big bold letter.
-A-