21

*Luke*

It's been three days since I got the book. Also three days since I've talked to Peach. Actually, the last time we talked was the day she met her father. Since then, only mrs Abigail calls once or twice a day to ask about me. She said Peach was still mad at me but I needed to give her some time after all the news she's heard. She also told me that Peach was back to her therapist and that she was making some progress. I knew that mrs Abby was avoiding Ashton's subject but I was grateful really. That way, I could finish my research about him in peace. I've spent these last three days indoors actually, focusing on the book and the information I can get about Irwin.

And today was no exception, I was lying on my bed starting to read the book for the second time when suddenly the phone rang. To my big surprise it was Peach. My eyes widened and I started shaking. I was happy and scared at the same time. I picked up without thinking.

_ Hello? I said 

_ Hey Luke, it's me Peach. I'm almost at your house, can you please open the door? She replied.

What? 

_Luke? She repeated.

_ yea, sure! I caught up.

Once she hung up I got up and hid the book under the pillow along with the notes I wrote down, then I jumped to the wardrobe to put on some clothes. I was only wearing boxers and if she saw me like that she would freak out. I raked my fingers through my hair to make some order in it then I wore some perfume and brushed my teeth. I know it's too much but for god's sake it's Peach.

Seconds later, there was a knock on the door. I threw one last look on myself in the mirror and checked if the book was well hidden then I opened the door. 

_ Hey! She greeted me with a shy smile.

When I saw her standing at my door, something hit me. I remembered how much I've missed her. And I realised that throughout these days I was only forcing myself to forget about her and that I couldn't do that. I let her in and took a deep breath before turning to face her.

_ I'm so sorry Luke! I didn't mean any of the rude things I've said to you. I've been such an idiot hurting you whenever I felt down, she said hugging me suddenly.

I was totally caught off guard but man this was the best thing that has happened to me after that accident. I wrapped my arms around her and smelled her hair. God! She smelled like heaven! 

_ Did you forgive me? She pulled away a little to look at me with her puppy eyes.

Oh my god what was she doing to me?

_ Yes, of course I did, I smiled.

_ Good because if you didn't I've prepared one hell of a speech to make you, she smiled back.

_ Oh really? I guess I may want to hear it, I chuckled.

_ But you won't, she giggled, so friends? She raised her fist.

Friends? Here we go again. But you know what it's okay. I'm going to take whatever she gives me. 

_ Yes friends, I smiled and bumped my fist with hers gently.

_ So do you have any plans for tomorrow? She asked making her way to the couch.

_ No, I don't, I answered immediately as I joined her.

_ Great then! How about coming over to mom's house to have dinner together? She suggested.

Did she mean like her family and us? Alone? Just like the good old days?

_ Don't worry Ashton's not going to be there, he said he had some work to do, she added.

Ashton again! 

_ So you and Ashton, huh? I asked forcing a smile.

I know I'm not doing the right thing right now but I really wanted to know what happened that night. I was pretty sure she spent the night with him but since then I was hoping he didn't take advantage of her. She was totally weak and vulnerable after knowing about her brother's death so it was the perfect chance for him to make a move on her.

_ What do you mean? She coughed looking away.

_ You know exactly what I mean. You came in hands in hands that day! I pointed out.

_ Well, okay we just had one kiss! She blurted out anxiously.

WHAT? He kissed her? No,no,no! I know that kissing her is way better than sleeping with her but I couldn't stand the idea of his dirty lips touching hers! It just disgusts me. But I was obliged to keep a poker face on because Peach shouldn't know what I was thinking.

_ So how is your girlfriend? I didn't get the chance to meet her yet, she said changing the subject.

What girlfriend? My head was totally foggy with anger right now. It was hard not to picture that bastard kissing Peach.

_ Luke? She repeated.

What was she talking about again? Ah the girlfriend.

_ Actually she's fine, you can meet her whenever you want, I answered her.

_ Really? So why don't you invite her to the dinner? She smiled.

_ Okay! I replied unconsciously. 

It took me several seconds to realise that I got myself into trouble. Why the hell did I say yes? I have no girlfriend to bring to the dinner? Jesus! What am I going to do?