38

*Luke*
I left Peach's house, took my car and drove away. I had no idea where I was going. My mind was so messy to focus on the road. Many questions were running in my head. What happened between Peach and her father? Why was she so upset about the tattoo? And that spade! Evelyn said that spades are the equivalent of the swords on the book's cover. Does that mean that mr Jack has anything to do with Joy Reed? Not possible! Or is it? Dammit. This is so frustrating!
I stopped the car and walked out of it. It was raining and once I got out I got wet. I stood in front of the house letting the rain wash away all the pain but it didn't. I stepped forward and rang the bell then waited in front of the door ,eyes on the floor.
_ Luke? Evelyn's questioning eyes roamed over my whole body.
I raised my head and looked into her eyes, broken. Mine were bloodshot and their blue must be darker by now.
_ I ruined everything, I whispered, she left with him for good.
As I said that I felt her arms around me holding me closer to her body until there were no inches keeping us apart. She rested one hand on the side of my face and the other one on my shoulder. Then I felt her lips move against my ear whispering "I'm sorry". And we stood in the doorway into each other's hold for several seconds, eyes closed.
I didn't even know how I got here. I was driving then I found myself stopping my car in her parking lot, walking to her door and ringing at her bell.
_ Tell me what happened, Evelyn said gently as we entered the house and sat on the couch.
_ I kissed her today, I couldn't take it anymore. It happened suddenly, I didn't even think about it. And I scared her away. She packed her stuff and Ashton came to pick her up. She's staying at his place, I explained.
_ So you told her who you really are? She asked.
_No, she still doesn't know about that. She freaked out because she thought I was cheating on you, I mumbled embarrassed.
_Ow... she murmured.
_ I know this is so fucked up! I made a mess and now I'm paying for it. What was I thinking when I lied to her? I mean what kind of idiot am I! I sighed biting my knuckles.
_ Don't say that, you were just trying to protect her. You're not an idiot. In fact you're... You're something else Luke Hemmings, she said resting her hand on my back.
But I let her slip away from me. Now, she's with Ashton and I'm out of the picture. I wanted to keep her away from him but instead I made them even closer. But this has to change. I must go back to my researches. Now more than ever.
_ Can we... can we talk about the book? I suggested.
I could feel the confusion in Evelyn's eyes but she covered it up with a huge smile quickly.
_I'm glad you brought this up, I have some news for you, she beamed, look what I've found, she said handing me her laptop.
I looked at the screen to see a picture of a woman leaving a hospital. She was wearing huge sunglasses and a hat to cover her face. The photo was probably taken by a paparazzo because she didn't seem to notice.
_ Joy Reed's been spotted leaving this psychiatric hospital two days before committing suicide, Evelyn said as I looked through the other pictures.
There were two possibilities of why Joy was at the hospital. It was wether because she's been dealing with some mental issues and she needed therapeutic care or because her lover works there. And I was positive about this because on one of the pictures, she was talking to a tall man in a doctor uniform.
_So, this man over here, was he her doctor or her lover? I asked.
_ Ew, no. That's my uncle and he's a married guy, Evelyn grimaced, and he's not her doctor either because Joy was there to visit her sister.
_ A doctor? I asked.
_ A patient actually ,and my uncle here is her doctor, she said.
_She must definitely know the reason why her sister committed suicide! I pointed out.
_ Exactly, that's why I talked to my uncle and asked him for a favor, she winked at me.
_ You asked him to let us meet Joy's sister? I demanded.
_And he said yes, she grinned.
_This is great! You're great Evelyn. You're the best! I said excitedly.
I don't know what good deed I did in my life to deserve such a friend but for whatever reason God has put Evelyn in my way, I'm thankful.