23

*Luke*

Fifteen minutes later, Evelyn joined me in the car. We drove to my place and when we got there we started the work immediately. We spent the whole night making ground rules for the plan to make it work. And I don't know how but we ended up sleeping upright on the couch. And all I know is waking up the next morning to a wonderful scent coming from the kitchen. The first thought that crossed my mind was a memory of Peach wearing an apron and making a mess in the kitchen. I got up and went straight there a grin on the face. I stood in the doorway hands crossed on my chest still smiling to the back of a black-haired girl. But when she faced me, my smile faded. She wasn't Peach. 

_ Morning boyfriend, Evelyn beamed a mixing bowl in one hand and a whisk in the other. 

_ Good morning, I said with a hoarse voice.

_ I'm sorry I invaded your privacy but I thought that I should make you something to eat because I stayed over, she explained.

_ So what did you make? I asked smiling, I'm starving, I added to make her feel comfortable.

She smiled back with acknowledgement.

_Pancakes, she answered.

_ Great, I love pancakes, I said.

_ A new information to memorize for tonight, she pointed out while starting a fire under the pan, about tonight, I should find an outfit because I didn't bring one, she added.

_ We can go shopping if you want, I suggested.

She turned to face me eyes wide open.

_ We? you'd do that with me? She asked surprised.

_ That's the least I can do, I shrugged my shoulders.

_ Your girlfriend is a lucky woman, she muttered as she turned her attention to the pancakes again.

An hour later we finished eating and we went shopping for Evelyn and she ended up buying a short black dress with small flowers printed here and there on it. Then we went back to my place where she picked some clothes for me to get ready. When the clock struck six we were already done. Evelyn got out of my room in her new outfit. Her black hair fell to her neck in a beautiful way and her dress fit perfectly. She was really pretty. She was looking down like a little shy girl. 

Then she looked at me and just stood there twisting her fingers. After that she made a step towards me, then two, then three, slowly. When she was finally an inch away from me, she filled the empty space between us and all I could feel was her hot breath burning through my ear and her hands on my neck. I totally stopped breathing. I was confused. What was she doing? My head was foggy and I couldn't think straight. My nose was buried in her neck and her scent was making it hard for my mind to process what was going on. At least, not until her voice came in like a whisper " We don't want your girlfriend to think I'm not taking a good care of you" she said as she fixed my collar then she backed away slowly letting her soft curls brush against my cheek.

I looked at her as she made her way to the door and called out "Come on, we're going to be late". I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath. Then I followed her and we headed to Peach's house.

When we finally got there, Peach opened the door and welcomed us with a smile playing on her lips. She was wearing a Rachel-Green-Style red dress and she looked breathtaking. It only added to my pain.

We followed her to the dining room where we found mrs Abby and mr Jack still  putting the plates on the table. When they saw us coming they greeted us warmly. We helped them pose the last plates and we gathered around the table. Evelyn was sitting between Peach and I. And mrs Abby was sitting across me and next to her husband. We were eating and chatting. And I could tell that Peach liked Evelyn already. I couldn't thank this girl enough. She's a life saviour. She was doing a great job. But as we were having dinner, I noticed that mrs Abby was looking strangely at her. I tried to figure out what was wrong but I couldn't. She already knew about Evelyn. I told her about the whole plan through our last call and she seemed okay with it but now she was uncomfortable. When our eyes finally met, she discreetly beckoned me to follow her as she went to the kitchen. 

So I dropped some sauce on my shirt to find a way to leave the table. When I finally made it to the kitchen, I found mrs Abby waiting for me.

_ What's wrong? I asked her.

_ Luke, dear! Why did you pick Evelyn out of all the other girls? she demanded instead of answering.

What an odd question! 

_ Do you know her? I looked at her confused.

_ Doesn't she look familiar to you? Luke, open your eyes  she looks like Peach. A lot! She pointed out.

_ No she doesn't, I started to say as I turned my face to look at them.

They were both laughing at some joke mr Jack said. Their heads tilting back, their eyes closed. Same laugh, same black hair, same frame, same face with only slight differences... 

They do look alike! Oh crap...