33

*Peach*

_ Peach, what's that you're holding? mom asked referring to the card in my hand.

_ It's nothing, I blurted out as I walked past her trying to hide it.

I ran back towards my room avoiding eye contact with her.

_ Peach, come back here, she said coming after me.

_ Mom, please, I just need some privacy, I told her as I closed the door behind me.

She spent a few more seconds waiting outside the room then I heard her walk away. I sat to my desk putting the list and the card in front of me. I started reading the stanza over and over again. What caught my attention was the word "consequence". Does that mean that Calum's death is just a consequence of someone's acts? His own acts maybe? No way! 

I looked at my list again and the word "betrayal" stopped me. 

So Calum's death is either a consequence or an act of betrayal.

I wrote down the new word and stared at the card. A jack of spades. I already know what spades stand for. The tattoo. But the jack? Was it a coincidence? First the bottle of Jack and now this? No, certainly not. But what does it mean? 

To answer this question I needed Evelyn's book. I grabbed it from the nightstand and started flipping through the pages until I found the right symbol. 

Jack of spades make great actors and initiates, but they can play the role of a knave. They're powerful and can easily manifest the object of their desire. Most of the times, they're gifted by a strong ability to connect with others which gives them the power to be manipulative. It also represents their will to push the limits of the law and life. 

So was "A" referring to the man in the suit using the jack? I guess not. Because, I've seen all of these signs when he killed Benji impassively. So, I wouldn't need any new hints to know that he was a knave. 

What could I possibly understand from the multiple mentions of a jack? What should I look for other than its symbolism? Maybe, I was doing this the wrong way. Maybe I was just complicating things and to fill the void of the puzzle I was supposed to think simply. 

I lied on my bed closing my eyes trying to concentrate. A jack! What could it possibly mean? A simple meaning. A jack, jack ,Jack. Maybe a name? Jack.

Suddenly a crazy idea crossed my mind. My eyes flew open. And I stood up so fast. Jack? Name? That's my father's name. Does he have anything to do with this? Was he involved in this whole crime? I hurried to the desk and opened the first piece of paper that came with the bottle of Jack. So my dad was mentioned with the betrayal concept for the first time. Then he was mentioned again with the consequence concept along with the tattoo! Does that mean that he's the person I was looking for, the anonymous that carried the same tattoo and that I couldn't remember? If so, does this mean he knows the man in the suit? Did he cause Calum's death in any way?

"It was all my fault in a way" He told me when he got out of Calum's room that day.

My mind was racing once again. This may be the explanation to his guiltiness yet a lot of other stuff remain unexplained.