26

*Peach*

It was almost time to go. The anonymous sent me the location but this time from another phone number. Michael convinced my mother to let me go to his party. So all I had to do now was to head to the bar. 

When the clock struck midnight, I was standing in front of Levy's. I still got a chance to retreat. I still got a chance to think twice before I get in. But I know that if I don't go in, I'll regret it. So I'll do it. For Calum's sake. I took a deep breath then I stepped in.

As I entered, a masqueraded guy handed me a venetian mask. It was shaped as a black butterfly that covers half the face. I took it but I didn't put it on. When I finally made my way through the crowds I looked around me to find everyone wearing a mask. So, this was a masquerade. Great! The bar was crowded and loud. The only thing you could hear was the deafening music. I headed towards the bar counter and sat on a stool taking a look at my phone's screen. Still nothing. 

I sat there for several minutes waiting for something to happen. A call, a text, a person. But the only thing that happened was a wasted couple bumping into me. They stood next to me making out. The woman was almost eating the man's face. Disgusting. They were moving violently and laughing every two seconds and with every move they banged me. And when they finally decided to get off each other, they asked for more drinks. The woman was beside me talking to her companion who was looking at me shamelessly. What a prick! But I think that the lady had another point of view for she turned to me, and poured her drink on my clothes swearing and accusing me of trying to steal her boyfriend. 

It happened in a snap, and all I could feel was the cold liquid making its way through the fabric. I raised my head to see the bitch storming out of the bar, her boyfriend running after her. Without an apology. Luckily, the music was loud so only a few people were looking at me curiously.

I was embarrassed and angry at the same time. What was I doing here? This was all a mistake. 

I got up from my seat and went straight to the ladies room, teeth clenched and face red.

As I cleaned my skirt with water, my mind was racing. Why isn't there any new text messages? Was this all a joke? Last night, it seemed very real and convincing but now...

Suddenly, a notification interrupted my train of thought.

*Go back to your seat*

Finally.

I hurried to the door and when I got out I saw someone wearing a ghost costume putting a bottle of jack on the bar counter where I was sitting.

Then the fellow ran away and a new text popped up.

*For you*

For me? If the bottle was for me then the person disguised as a ghost must be... A!

I looked up again looking for any white sheet moving around. But it disappeared. Dammit that was close. I could've catch that freak. I couldn't see the face because of the mask. And I couldn't even tell if it was a man or a woman. The whole body was fully covered.

Oh great! Now I see it. The masquerade was for secrecy and the masks for cover. 

I sighed in defeat and went back to my seat. I sat on the stool looking at the bottle of jack posed in front of me not daring to touch it. 

*Open it* A new text read.

I looked around me to see if there was anyone holding his phone texting, but all I could see was people dancing, jumping, wasted.

I took the bottle in my hands and to my big surprise it weighed nothing. 

An empty bottle? 

*It's empty* I typed confused.

*Open it* the anonymous insisted.

*How?* I asked.

The bartender won't open it if it's empty.

*Break it* 

What? that's totally insane. But I had no other choice. 

I looked around me to check if there was anyone looking but apparently everyone was enjoying the night not paying attention. Great! That's  what I needed. I dropped the bottle on the floor and it shattered to pieces and fortunately the noise was covered by the music. I looked down to see a folded  piece of paper between the glass. I picked  it up and opened it.

small letters cut from different magazines and newspapers, stuck on the big piece of paper forming a sentence. Or, a stanza?

"After all, the last explanation remains to be made about prudence;

Little and large alike drop quietly aside from the prudence that suits immortality"

-Walt Whitman, Song Of Prudence, Leaves Of Grass-

What the hell does this mean?

*Cheers* A new text message appeared.