Chapter 24 - Only dark skies that hang above

It took a week for UA to be back up and running, with its updated security system and facilities, and the students were currently back to school on Monday.

Surprisingly, UA's reputation was barely tarnished, even though Midoriya's involvement in the incident had somehow gotten out, though the details were not disclosed to anyone. The Hosu Incident was fresh in everyone's memory, and everyone knew that the presence of three Nomus had caused the sheer number of injured and dead heroes and civilians.

With only a fraction of the number of heroes that had been in Hosu, coupled with four Nomus, with one made to take out All Might, and a huge hoard of villains, it was considered a miracle that only three people were severely injured from the attack on UA.

Thirteen had taken an extra few days off to continue recuperating, but Aizawa was insistent on returning to his position as 1-A's homeroom teacher despite being wrapped from head to toe with bandages.

Midoriya, while currently stable, with most of his injuries all healed up from Shuzenji and other doctors' quirks, still hadn't woken up, and given that he was officially under Nezu's custody at this point, had been transferred to UA's infirmary so that Shuzenji could keep a closer eye on him even during her shifts in school.

Shuzenji hated that she had to use her quirk on Midoriya while he was unconscious. Regaining energy was important to the human body. It was something that she rarely did, but she didn't have a choice. She didn't like to force Midoriya's injuries to heal without letting him regain any energy, but the other option was to wait for him to wake up, and by then, the damage would probably be permanent and irreparable. She couldn't risk it; Midoriya still had his entire future ahead of him.

Meanwhile, Nezu wasn't sure that he had made the right choice. Sure, he wanted to respect Midoriya's choices, but something about just letting his foster mother go didn't sit right with him.

She didn't care about him. She let him suffer. She neglected him, she didn't care that he was injured, she didn't trust him at all. She was nowhere near what a foster parent should act like, even if they were just temporary caretakers until the children were adopted.

Nezu had also dug into the records of all of Midoriya's past schools, from preschool all the way to middle school.

Every single school had records of Midoriya being a problematic child. There were multiple reports of him constantly agitating his classmates, provoking them, being an attention seeker, lying, not handing in his homework on time, and generally being clumsy and falling down the stairs quite a few times.

At least, her reaction made some sort of sense, in a weird, twisted kind of way. If there were so many incidents, it was no wonder that she thought that he was fabricating yet another story. Nezu wasn't saying that his foster mother wasn't in the wrong, just that her nonchalance towards Midoriya's hospitalization didn't just come out of nowhere.

But none of it lined up. Midoriya wasn't the kind of person that all the records described him to be. On the contrary, it was the very opposite; Midoriya was a kind, overly selfless child who couldn't hurt a fly. He hated attention, shied away from it, in fact, and was very punctual in handing in his homework that was leagues above the quality that the rest of his peers handed in. There was no way that he was anything similar to what he was described as in the school reports.

Everyone was against Midoriya. Not just his classmates, but even his teachers. They just assumed that he was always in the wrong, simply because he was quirkless; that he wanted attention because he wouldn't be able to garner any without a quirk.

His head was starting to throb from the lack of sleep; he hadn't been sleeping well the past few days, having to worry about pretty much everything ranging from the security of the school to student records to publicity to the fact that Midoriya still hadn't woken up yet.