Chapter 37

Sat

2 weeks later

He stops at the office door and Bruno listens as Leila tells 1 of her friends by the sound of it that she can't go out with them tonight anymore and she jokingly blames her slave driver of a boss why she can't make it and Bruno's heard enough and he walks into the office and goes behind Leila's desk and leans against it and Leila tells her friend that she has to go and ends the call and she places her phone on top of her desk and he asks her, why have you cancelled going out to dinner with your friends tonight and Leila tells him, because I don't feel like it anymore and Bruno nods his head and says, I see and he asks Leila, then why did you blame your slave driver of a boss and Leila bites her bottom lip and tells him, because I didn't want to hurt their feelings and Leila asks him, damn it Bruno did you listen to my whole conversation with Megan and Bruno shakes his head no and tells Leila, I only heard you blaming me for why you're not going out with them anymore and Leila sighs and he tells her, since Luke's brother approached you and you ended up in hospital, i've been glad that you've stayed home because the thought of you going out without me and maybe getting hurt in any way worries me, but that's no way to live baby and you can't let what's happened take over your life, you're too out going a person to be staying home all the time because you're scared about what might happen, but if it really worries you then take 1 of my guys with you, they'll stay out of sight but they'll be near if you need them and because you have restraining orders against Luke who isn't allowed to contact you in any way and 1 against his brother who got off with a 2 year suspended sentence, just remember he's not allowed near you, so you're safe from them baby, you don't have to worry about them anymore.

She gets up from her chair, walks over to Bruno and hugs him and Leila pulls back just enough to see Bruno's face and tells him, you're right and you're sweet to offer, but your personal security team are for you, you need them with all those eager young bunnies around that would love to get their paws on you and Bruno laughs, puts his arms around her waist and tells her, true, but I don't mind sharing my guys with you and Leila smiles and tells Bruno, I know that and I appreciate it but you've given me the kick up the ass that I needed and reminded me that I don't want to be a victim, but for every day that I let what Luke did to me and how his brother made me feel 2 weeks ago affect me, then that gives them power over me and causes problems for us and that needs to stop, I need to get back to normal, we both do, so i'll text Megan and tell her I can go out to dinner with her and my other friends tonight and Bruno smiles and tells her, good and he kisses her gently and tells her, i'm proud of you baby and Leila smiles and tells Bruno, thanks, try not to worry about me while i'm out tonight and have fun with Phil and if anything or anyone scares me or makes me freeze up then i'll try what Martha told me to do and hopefully it'll work and Bruno tells her, that's good, but if anyone scares you or makes you feel uneasy when you're out then I want you to press your panic button and Leila shakes her head no and tells Bruno, oh come on and Bruno tells her, I mean it Leila, I don't want you to take any chances, especially not to prove a point to yourself or to me and Leila sighs and tells Bruno, ok, but the thought of taking chances didn't cross my mind and thanks to Lonnie teaching me self defence, i've got a pretty good right cross punch now and Bruno tells her, I know, i've seen you punching and you're good, but I don't want you to have to defend yourself physically against anyone and Leila tells him, I don't want to have to fight with anyone physically, but if I have no choice then I will and she kisses Bruno, pulls away from him and picks her phone up from her desk and texts Megan that she'll join her and their other friends for dinner after all tonight and as Leila's about to put her phone back down onto her desk Megan texts her back saying, that's great, see you at 8 and Leila puts her phone down onto her desk and turns to Bruno and tells him, well that's dinner with my friends back on and maybe we can try to get back to how we were when I get home tonight and Bruno grins and tells her, i'd love that and Leila smiles and tells him, me too.