12: Fault?

After that day, Violet seemed to be deep in thought and looked quite...sad. Violet was said to take a month longer off of work and she took it without hesitation unlike last time.

One day, Gilbert decided to take a leave of absence. He knew there was something bothering his wife as well as her life being in danger, so he will be her personal bodyguard.

They laid in bed with Violet looking at the ceiling with a neutral face.

Gilbert looked at Violet with concerned look and asked, "What's bothering you?"

"What?"

"You seem bothered, you always space out and think." Gilbert said, facing Violet.

"Well..." Violet said, facing Gilbert as well. "Do you think I should be living hell?"

"What?" Gilbert said, looking at her. "What do you mean?"

"I mean there are people who are living miserably everyday because of me. Because I have killed their loved one. Do you think I-"

"No. Look, these people who you say died for their pride. They died with honor. They didn't get killed because of murder or maltreatment, they died because of a war they willingly joined. It was only a  coincidence that you were the one who did it. I killed as well yet I didn't get threats like you know why? Because I am of royal family." Gilbert said.

He continued, "These people are only looking for an excuse to kill, to 'justify' their sins. The one who deserves better is you, you were hunted down by these monsters for years and now they are still even though the war is done and all is done. I know death is not to be taken lightly, but you cannot put you anger out on another person. They have no right."

Violet looked at the bed with tears. Gilbert wiped her tears with his thumb.

"I know that but somehow.....I still feel like it's my fault." Violet said softly.

"Look at me." Gilbert said firmly. "Do you see me as a threat?"

"No." Violet said meekly.

"Exactly, when I looked at you, you look like a decent young woman, not a murderer, yet we both have killed. Just because we killed doesn't mean we're at fault. Doesn't mean it is right killing someone but still. It isn't our fault, we just say that, do our best life and let God judge us okay?" Gilbert said softly.

"Okay." Violet said. "Thank you."

Gilbert smiled. "Thank you." Kissing her forehead. "Let's sleep now."

"Yeah."