[SE] "GRADUATION RETREAT"

Written 21 October 2019

You know, it does feel good giving "genuine" advice to someone who's worried about their upcoming graduation―specifically on the subject of graduation retreat.

Whether it is one of major requirements by a scholarly institution―sectarian or secular―or it's only an optional requirement that can be skipped without any fear of reprisal, the graduation retreat is one of the final moments a graduating student will have together with their classmates; it's one of the few opportunities left for graduating students to make fun memories of their school life, before setting off on a journey to the "real" world. At the least, that is my opinion of it. However, as I have given it a much deeper thought afterwards, it is ironic that I actually held that opinion―especially when I have no fond memories of school life to speak of. And, even though that person thanked me for reassuring them, I could not help but think about each and every fuck-up I did when I was a student―with high school being the worst. (I was totally broken down by all the bullying I got from my classmates, and I have responded in a totally acrimonious manner―that is, I managed to think that everyone around me was the enemy out there to get me, and I have acted upon that warped viewpoint in life.) And reliving those nightmarish memories made me sad again.

If ever I will talk of any regrets on my deathbed, it's the fact that I was so busy exacting my "rightful" vengeance against those who have wronged me during my time as a student, I never had any fun memories of school by the end of it.