Episode 8, Act 2 - Lately

Later that afternoon, Sam was up performing his song choice of 'Lately' by Stevie Wonder, trying to express his feelings of regret to Brittany in the choir room.

"Lately, I have had the strangest feeling with no vivid reason here to find. Yet the thought of losing you's been hanging 'round my mind. Lately I've been staring in the mirror. Very slowly picking me apart. Trying to tell myself I have no reason with your heart. Just the other night while you were sleeping I vaguely heard you whisper someone's name. But when I ask you of the thoughts you're keeping you just say nothing's changed. Well, I'm a man of many wishes, I hope my premonition misses but what I really feel my eyes won't let me hide 'cause they always start to cry. 'Cause this time could mean goodbye, goodbye. Oh, I'm a man of many wishes, I hope my premonition misses but what I really feel my eyes won't let me hide. 'Cause they always start to cry. 'Cause this time could mean goodbye," Sam sang emotionally in the choir room as the New Directions seemed to feel his every emotion, including Brittany who seemed surprised by his choice. Everyone applauded Sam as he finished the song as he just sat there emotionally as the bell rang.

Everyone got up to leave the classroom but Brittany headed over to Sam. "Sad songs make me really sad," Brittany frowned as she sat by Sam. "I know," Sam sighed as Brittany frowned. "Did I do something wrong?" She asked. "You think the world is going to end and instead of apologizing to me your just talking to your cat who you clearly seem to think is more important than me," Sam sighed slightly annoyed as Brittany frowned. "Lord Tubbington does mean a lot to me but so do you," Brittany said looking into Sam's eyes as Sam looked back at her "But I thought you knew that after all you've done for me and my lesbian love child so I figured we were already on really good terms. Lord Tubbington is still really mad at me for shutting down his e-mail account so he can't send you any more harassing messages." Sam could see it in her eyes that Brittany meant every word she was saying to him and realized she didn't mean to hurt him. "I guess we are...I guess I'm just trying to figure out what's going to happen to our baby," Sam sighed. "Well you can still be like her dad since she totally needs one and Santana and I will be her moms," Brittany said as Sam's face lit up. This was the first time Brittany acknowledged the fact that he had a role in his child's life. "You mean it?" Sam grinned. "Totally," Brittany nodded "You've been there for me for the whole 18 months." "9 months..." Sam corrected her. "Yeah but still it's been awesome and I want her to have a dad in her life and who better than you?" Brittany smiled as Sam hugged her tightly. "Thank you Brittany. You don't know how much this means to me," Sam smiled. "Of course," Brittany smiled back at him as he helped her with her things to class finally feeling connected again to her.

Quinn was busy at Yale studying for her midterms before break when she saw she had a missed call from Blaine. She soon decided to listen to the message that he had left her. "Hey, It's Blaine. I know we were never really close but Sam's been miserable without you. Our theme in Glee Club this week has been last chance and I know if he only had one more day, he'd want to be with you and judging by how you looked at him at the wedding, I think you feel the same way, which is why I want to invite you to come back here for spring break. I know you never liked it here in Lima but if you truly love Sam like the way I know he loves you, you should give it a chance. Let me know what you decide. Okay thanks bye," Blaine said as Quinn pondered what Blaine had suggested. There was a part of her that never quite got over Sam who in so many ways was the first person who loved and accepted Quinn for being exactly who she was with no judgement. It was something she had longed for in her life again but worried the distance between them would affect their relationship. But with Blaine's suggestion only being to come into town for Regionals, Quinn knew it was an offer she couldn't refuse and wouldn't refuse so she decided to book her plane ticket back home, hoping her relationship wasn't lost.