20

"I'm Brooke." She says giving me a smile, but I can see that it was a fake smile from a mile away. I nod slightly and place the bottle down on the counter to shake her hand.

Demi's POV

"Nice to meet you." I say trying to stay polite with a smile.

"Yeah, I'm Max's childhood friend." She says and I nod.

"I know who you are." I say picking the bottle back up.

"Oh, you do?" She asks surprised.

"Yes, Rhonda mentioned you coming a few days ago and Max told me who you were. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go feed her." I say gesturing down to Zara while also trying to get out of there because it was starting to become uncomfortable. She nods and I walk outside and make my way to the outdoor couch where Max is still sitting down. I sit down next to him and he wraps one arm around me and I immediately lean into him.

"Hello sweet princess!" Max says bending down to kiss her forehead as she lays in my arms. She smiles and coos and then I start feeding her.

"You okay baby, you're a little quiet." Max says after a few minutes when all his friends are gone and it's just us. I nod and try to plaster a smile on my face but I know he can see right through it as he gives me a look.

"Fine, I just met Brooke inside and it got a little awkward so I excused myself." I say and I see him roll his eyes.

"I didn't even know she was here. I'm sorry baby, what did she say?" He asks

"Nothing bad, it was just like she was trying to prove something and it got uncomfortable and awkward so I walked out here as soon as I could. I was making Zara a bottle when she came up to me." I tell him and he nods then leans in to kiss my cheek.

"I'm sorry you were uncomfortable love." He says smiling and I smile back.

"It's okay baby, it's not your fault." I say leaning in to kiss his lips and once we pull away I look over Max's shoulder and notice Brooke staring at us.

"And there she is." I mumble drifting my attention back to Zara eating and I smile at her. I hear Max sigh and I look over and see Brooke making her way over here.

"Max! I haven't seen you in forever!" Brooke says when she gets close enough.

"Uhm.. yeah, it's been a while." He answers and I can tell he's uncomfortable.

"I don't get a hug or anything?" She asks and I slightly move away from Max so I'm not leaning against him and he can get up. I see him look over at me and I give him a reassuring smile. He sighs and stands up and she immediately wraps her arms around his neck and I see him hug her with one hand and I slightly chuckle at how awkward they look right now and thankfully no one else is around since everyone else is either by the pool or table getting ready for the food to be ready. Max pulls away and then he sits back down next to me and wraps his arm back around my shoulder. I see her glare at me and I scrunch my brows in confusion at why she's looking at me like that. She then sits down across from us and I try to ignore her presence by drifting my attention to Zara and I see that she's done eating. I sit up a little to place the bottle on the table in front of us and then I adjust Zara so I can burp her.

"So Max, how have you been?" Brooke asks

"Great, I can't complain." He says looking down at Zara and then drifts his attention to me and he smiles. I smile back then Max takes Zara from my arms when she's done.

"That's good." She says and he nods and then there is an uncomfortable silence until we hear Max's mom.

"Max! Can you come here!" She yells across the yard and Max looks over at me.