Chapter 55: Yikes

Hermione's POV:

The tension in the air is thick, thicker than molasses, thicker than veritaserum, thicker than anything known to man.

"...Ummm...." Pansy and Lavender chorus at the same time. They turn to look at each other, both looking extremely nervous, and almost...sick?

"Well?" Theo asks, now starting to get nervous. The funny and happy guy I once knew was now sitting there nervously, and for the first time ever, he doesn't look ready to crack a joke.

"Ummm..." They chorus again, shrinking back into the seats.

"Girls, you can tell us anything," I assure them, reaching out and putting my left hand on top of Pansy's, and my right on Lavender's.

They both looked down at me and let out a small smile, it was small, but they already looked worlds happier.

"Ok," Lavender takes a deep breath.

I go back to my seat next to Draco and stare at the two girls expectantly, just like the rest of my friends.

"I know this is a surprise," Lavender says. She wrings her hands together, refusing to look at anybody, so she looks down at the floor.

"But we have some serious news..." Pansy trails off, turning her head to look at the floor too.

"Two months," Lavender announces.

"Three weeks," Pansy blurts.

They both slap a hand over their mouths. Ginny, Astoria, Luna and I gasp.

"No!" Astoria claps a hand over her mouth too.

"Two months and three weeks for what?" Theo looks around confused.

Ron shrugs, being as thick as ever. "I'm not sure."

Pansy and Lavender both frown, looking as if they were about to gasp.

Neville stares at them, dumbfounded. "You thickheads, they're pregnant!"

Theo and Ron gasp. "Pregnant?"

"Pregnant," Lavender and Pansy confirm.

"We're going to be fathers!" Theo and Ron gasp, looking at each other.

"So cool!" Ron shakes his head and kisses Lavender. "We're going to have our own little baby!"

Theo goes over to Pansy. "It's going to be you and me, and that little baby." He pokes her stomach and she giggles.

Ginny whoops. "I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!" She starts partying to herself, dancing with Pansy and Lavender.

"That means just Hermione, Luna and Astoria left," Harry nods, motioning to each of us in turn.

"So just half of us," I say, suddenly feeling extremely pressured. Pressured to have two children within three years, just as the law had said. I felt pressured because that meant I had about half a year until I had to be pregnant with his child. Was I ready for that?

"This law is just stupid," Astoria whines. Blaise looks at her sadly.

"Why?" He asks, his voice dripping with hurt.

"We can't have two children in three years! It takes a year to be pregnant, pop of the child and for us to heal. Then we need at least another six months to mentally prepare ourselves again!" Astoria huffs.

I nod, agreeing with her words. "I think forcing us to do this once is enough," I say, turning to look out the window.

The girls mumble in agreement, and we fall into a short era of silence.
________________________________________________________________________________