Rift

-Taliyah POV-

A long day of classes just passed, followed by a relatively heavy day at the restaurant. Though we had Ezreal back in action, the number of clients was just too much compared with what we usually deal with. Not to mention that I still need to do some homework after returning home.

But I have one last stop before going there.

As I walked through the city, I saw different people walking by, groups of friends having casual chatters and laughing, families taking a stroll during sunset, couples having dates. Everything seemed to be just as usual, though some of the sights made me feel a little reflective. Nothing has been the same for the last month, since her disappearance.

After half an hour of walking through the city, I arrived at a house. Fairly normal, though a little abandoned in the front yard. I've been visiting here for the last month and I know that inside it's also in a bad state... But I can't blame the owner for living in such conditions.

As I opened the little door of the fence that separated the front yard from the street, I was received with a friendly individual. A husky dog ran through the high grass and jumped to me playfully, earning a chuckle out of me. I kindly pet the dog while saluting him.

Me: Hello there Balto! How have you been today? You were a good boy?

The dog barked happily in response and then separated himself from me, standing in front of me and spinning in his place playfully. He lowered his body and readied himself to play a little, but even if I'm up for it, I had to visit the woman living inside the house.

Me: I would love to play, but I'm here to see your mommy. Is she in home?

The dog, calmed down noticeably and then turned around, walking to the door and then turning back to see me. I walked to the front door and knocked on it with an expression as calm as possible.

Seconds later, someone opened the door and received me with a tired smile.

Kai'sel: Taliyah, you came a little later than usual.

Me: Yeah, work was a little hectic today.

Kai'sel: I know how that is, it's the same for me every day. Please come in, I'll prepare some tea.

Me: Let me help you with that, you already had enough stress for today.

Kai'sel: Alright, alright, feel yourself at home.

Me: Thank you Ms. Kai'sel.

I steeped in the house and took off my backpack, putting it on the hanger right next to the door. Balto entered the house alongside me and hurried to the living room. I followed Ms. Kai'sel to the kitchen and helped her to prepare tea like I always do, for the last month, I've become a close friend to this woman, knowing her current situation.

We finished preparing the tea and went to the living room, sitting on the couch and starting a casual chat.

Me: So, how was the work today?

Kai'sel: I got the morning shift, and it was just what you could expect from it. The laundry of an entire hotel is something ridiculous sometimes, I swear that the mountain of clothes was going to reach the ceiling.

Me: The ceiling? I thought the maids threw the clothes through a pipe from the upper floors.

Kai'sel: Then you can make yourself a pretty good idea of how bad it was, the clothes were literally obstructing the pipe and my partner didn't show up to work today.

Me: Again?

Kai'sel: I heard his wife is sick and he needed to take her to a hospital. So, he didn't show up because of that.