The After Effect

It's been 2 days, and Draco didn't give me a chance to explain myself, and my life was being sucked out. He slammed the door on my face as I knocked his dorm door. Blaise told me, he was not being seen at all, and isolating himself. The room of requirements never opened for me. He distanced himself from everyone, and so did I. I missed classes that entire day, and yesterday was miserable, as Drew, and Scar tried to make me talk. I took longer baths, slower steps, regretting what I did. Only if I had a choice. I missed him.

"Ria! They're here," Daph rushed in with some packages.

"I told you I'm not going, Daph," I yelled, for the umpteenth time.

"You think Slughorn would be pleased?" she asked.

"Since when have I tried to please him?" I raised an eyebrow.

"What about Father? he asked you to attend it, didn't he?" she crossed her arms, and I groaned, frustrated.

"I'll tell him I have not found a date," Oh! yeah, I can not, I'll be assassinated before Dumbledore, if they knew I failed my mission. 

"But, Dra-" 

"I'll go," I cut her off, sniffing as my eyes welled up.

"Please tell me, Ria, we can help you," she hugged.

"I can't Daph," my voice croaked, and collapsed in her arms.

"Is it about Draco?" she whispered, and I nodded. 

"Did he hurt you?" she asked, seriously.

"No, no he didn't, it was all me, I'm sorry Daph," I cried.

"I'm sorry," she rubbed circles, on my back, and I stopped sobbing. Draco has nobody to cry to, turn to, it was so comforting to have my sister, and I suck. I messed up, everything, causing more damage to his broken heart. I gained my posture, and I walked out of the dorm, to apologize to my friends. Thankfully, I found them at our usual place, under the tree, next to the now frozen  black lake. 

"Ria!" Scarlet crushed me.

"I'm sorry, Scar, for yelling at you to leave me alone."

"I'm sorry too," she said.

"Did you miss me?" I asked trying to be my usual self.

"They were starting to exhaust me," she giggled, making me giggle. I sat next to Jace, and tried to update myself of what has happened for the past 2 days. Drew, and Scar went to the library, leaving me, and Jace alone.

"Well, how are you doing?" he asked, and I was tired of lying.

"Not good," I sighed, staring at my shoes.

"I know, it's about Draco, isn't it?" he put an arm around my shoulder, I spent more time around Jace than those two, since the year has begun. I nodded.

"I messed it all up, Jace," I sighed. I loved how he understood me, he knew when to not ask someone about something.

"It'll all be fine, Ria," he side hugged, and his words gave me some hope.

"That frown doesn't suit that pretty face," he nudged, making me chuckle.

"Jace, would you go to Slughorn's party with me? As friends," I asked.

"Sure," he smiled, shrugging.

---

I still had second thoughts about the party, but I can't diss Jason now. I had no idea of what I was wearing. I bathed, and waited for Daph in my bath robes. She was in the dorm, soon and threw the clothes on her bed.

"Woah! are they not too revealing?" I asked. They're extremely pretty.

"It's a party, Ria, you are starting to sound like mummy," she snorted. Well, she'd say no, but its aunt Cass, and her infamous designs.

"This is mine," she grabbed a mini body skirt, and a matching blouse, which had a rather teasy neck line.

I slipped into mine, it was a high slit, body con dress. Seriously aunt Cass? Green velvet? The most revealing clothing I ever wore. I scanned myself in the mirror, and felt it was fine. I was done with my natural makeup.

"Its a crime hiding something like that," she smirked.

"I prefer mystery, over public showcase,"  I shot back.

"Whatever," she dismissed, and threw a ring at me. I put on my long hoops that extended to my shoulders. My hair sleek, and straight. I totally dressed up for that Blonde Slytherin prince.

"You look ravishing, Astoria," Jason complimented, and I felt myself blush slightly.

"Thanks Jace, you look just as good looking," I returned. Indeed, he did. We made our way to Slughorn's office. We were invited by lots of people, bustling. Slughorn was busy chatting, and I sighed in relief, no body will notice us, as they were all busy. A few minutes later, Slughorn asked me if Jace was my date, and I told him we were just friends. Jace brought me a firewhiskey. I found the dear professor Snape, and decided to talk to him. I needed to know why he tried to read my mind. Maybe, he's the one watching me, or maybe not. The door swung open, and Draco accompanied Filch. No he was dragged in. 

"I discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party and to have been delayed in setting out. Did you issue him with an invitation?" Get your hands off him. Draco's eyes scanned me, and Jace who offered me the fire whiskey, and he definitely sneered. I'm such a pillock! Is it because I'm at the party with Jace, or because of what I did? Probably, the later. I just hope he doesn't think I moved on, or worse, ran into some other guy's arms. 

"All right, I wasn't invited!" he said angrily. "I was trying to gatecrash, happy?" I wanted to cover up for saying, "He's my date," but thank Merlin, Slughorn was quick to save him the embarrassment.

"It's Christmas, and it's not a crime to want to come to a party. Just this once, we'll forget any punishment; you may stay, Draco." Does he realize, he's talking about Draco Lucius Malfoy. They host the fanciest balls, duh! He had composed his face into a smile and was thanking Slughorn for his generosity, but within was a broken boy, he looked sick, his eyes had bags under them, he has not been sleeping, he got skinnier, paler. I suppressed the strong urge to throw my arms around him, and kiss him. If this is how heartbreak feels like, I know I'm absolutely broke. I'd give up anything to have him, to see the precious hearty smile, he hides from the world. Once again, a crushing pain hit my chest, and a tear rolled down my cheek. I ran out of his office, as everyone returned to their business. I found a stair case to sit, and let my pain flow. My attempts were futile, as I wiped them away, I didn't care how my sobs sounded. A wheezy hog, probably. I shut my mouth, and took deep gasps to control my tears, as I heard footsteps. They were storming, and I was not curious until I heard Snape mutter something. Draco followed him.