Brave Serpent

It was horrible, I felt my life being sucked out as blood flowed out of my body. The spell worked like sword, slashing my body. All those fencing classes and duels with my father when I was young taught me exactly how swords work, I never understood why I had to learn that, but now I know how it feels like. As my vision started getting blurry, Severus entered the bathroom, he used the counter curse, which only increased the pain. I screamed as the wounds were stitching together. Astoria fell next to me, sobbing, I had no energy to ask her to go away. She looked so worried, but she has always been wise. My wounds hurt so bad, but Madam Pomfrey gave me a pain killer to ease it down. She didn't make a move to leave my side, and I pretended to be asleep to avoid conversation. I saw her cry, cry for me. She started speaking, thinking I was asleep. I missed her voice. Her voice croaked, and I knew she didn't want to cry, "he crucioed me", she said, and my heart sank. Agony, fear, and anger bubbled my blood. My eyes shot open, but the pain didn't let me sit up. I knew how it feels like to be crucioed. The pain is indescribable. Death seems a million times better, I begged to be killed, than be crucified. It feels like being stabbed continually in every part of the body. Every bone feels like it's broke. The memory of dark lord using it on me this christmas to threaten father, my mother fell on dark lord's feet and started crying, begging to stop, and my father was on his knees, stammering. That was the very first time I realized how strong the Longbottom's parents were, his life was hard and I regret making it harder for him, being an absolute jerk. My parents whom I saw as a power couple, no longer looked like it. They were both crying, vulnerable, and in danger. I understood their love for the first time, I despised my father for failing, for leaving my mother as a damsel in distress, for forcing me into this, until then. They were just as powerless as me. He was a monster, inside out. Cruel to the core. The thought of Astoria going through it, ripped my heart. "I'm dying," she sighed. I felt dead, I stopped breathing. No, no way. She was speaking Rubbish. I shot up, the pain in my torso's nothing compared to the pain her words gave. She didn't notice me awake. I'll never let anything happen to her. I won't let him do that, I can't. She's everything I have. I'll sell my soul for you. I pulled her to my chest, what will I do with you, Astoria? I never called her Ria, like all of our friends, her name just felt so complete, mouthful, and very special. Brave, lovely, dainty, wise, star like. Why would I want to call her a nickname, when her name perfectly resembles all those? I can't make myself imagine a moment without her. I understood everything, watching her memories, and I'd do anything to save her. To keep her.

___

I took a deep breath standing before the gargoyle. I have to be very careful with my words, despite practicing every sentence all day long.

"Good evening, professor," I greeted.

"Ah, Miss Greengrass, very good evening. I believe there's a reason for your visit?" he nodded. Bad idea, but no I can't run away now. I hesitated but picked up the courage.

"There's something of Regulus Black, which you must see, something of the dark lord," I said, giving him the piece of parchment. The location of the cave. He was keen and surprised.

"I found this in the summer, along with some letters, he's my godfather," I told him.

"Do you know better than the words you utter, Astoria?" he asked politely. I gulped, staring at the floor.

"You can confide in me, help will always be give to those who ask," he said.

I nodded, "The cave has answers to many mysteries, including his death. I know there's a war coming Professor, I am choosing the side, before it's stolen from me. Soon I won't have a choice. Take someone along for the visit, professor. You'll need assistance," I said, smiling sadly. There I said it. 

"This is indeed very brave, and fearless," he said, amused?

"Thank you, professor," I nodded, and walked out of the place, feeling accomplished, scared, satisfied, exhausted.

I rushed to the library to learn more defensive spells. I had trained enough in darkest magic, curses, advanced spells. I ran my fingers through spines of several old books.

" Looking for this?" I jumped startled.

"Draco?" I whisper yelled, and he chuckled, sitting in the corner with his book. Before I realized, he pulled into his lap, I stood up, my body hot, and my face red.

"It's the library," I whispered.

"Aww," he pouted, pushing me against the shelf.

"I miss looking at you, Astoria," he whispered in a raspy voice, his lips touching my ear. I felt like a melted ice cream. I pecked his cheek, leaving a red stain of my lipstick. "Isn't it the library, darling?" he smirked,  running a hand through his messed up hair, just as I was close to his lips. I stopped, feeling embarrassed. 

"You are going out with me tomorrow, okay? I am keeping it," he said, I nodded, my heart still racing.

"You can't resist me, love," he winked. I watched him walk away, wearing a smirk, and the imprint. Sweet Merlin, my mind was too messed up to study.