Chapter 31

Gemma's P.O.V
"We're not leaving." Rick says, cocking his gun. We all stand around in the cell block, discussing what we should do about the Govenor.

"We can't stay here." Hershel argues.

"What if there's another sniper? A wood pallet wouldn't stop one of those rounds." Maggie says.

"We can't even go outside." Beth says.

"Not in the daylight." Carol adds.

"Rick says we're not running, we're not running!" Glenn states.

"No, better to live like rats." Merle states from the other side of the barred door.

I roll my eyes at him with my arms crossed in the corner as Rick speaks to him, "No, you got a better idea?"

"Yeah, we should of slid out of here last night, live to fight another day. We lost that window didn't we, I'm sure he's got scouts in every road out of this place by now." Merle states.

"Yeah, well we ain't scared of that prick." Daryl says from above.

I scoff and keep my eyes locked on the ground, avoiding looking at him.

"Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that's him just ringing the doorbell. We might have thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot... He could just starve us out if he wanted too." Merle smirks.

"Let's put him in the other cell block." Maggie says distressed.

"No, he's got a point." Daryl defends him.

"This is all you, you started this!" Maggie yells at Merle.

"What's the difference whose fault this is? What do we do?" Beth asks.

"I said we should leave. Now Axel's dead. Now we can't just sit here." Hershel says.

Rick turns and begins to walk out of the cell block when Hershel yells, "Get back here!"

Rick stops and Hershel walks forward, stopping beside him, "You're slipping Rick, we've all seen it. We understand why, but now is not the time. You once said this wasn't a democracy, now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands, so get your head clear and do something."

Rick looks at him a moment before walking away, opening the door and moving past Merle. I push away from the wall and walk towards my cell, going up the steps. As I go down the hallway, I see Daryl walking towards me. He stops to speak to me but I move around him and continue to my cell.

I take a seat on the bed and go to inspect my wound. I pull off the bandage and prod around the tender flesh, noticing it is pink and mostly healed. I smile in relief and toss the bandage in the garbage. I drag my bag over to me from the corner and begin to rifle through it for all the weapons I have. I pull out a couple of knives, guns and ammo along with my machete. I place the weapon on my belt and carry the others down stairs with me.

Everyone is busy doing their own thing and I walk towards the cell block door. I notice Merle sitting on the bed in there and he looks up as I shut the door behind me. I walk past him and put my weapons on the table, sitting down to sort them out.

"Lemme guess, you're the one that's got my baby brother all riled up?" He taunts from his cage.

I ignore him and begin to reload the guns with the bullets.

"Yeah, my brother has always been the sensitive one. The one with feelings." He says walking towards me.

He walks around to the other side of the table, taking a seat on one of the chairs, "I can see why he likes you so much... Why don't you come an have play with old Merle huh?"