Chapter 62

Gemma's P.O.V
We are all crammed into the living room, our group spread out as much as possible. Despite my protests, I've been given the couch to sleep on for the night. The room is rather silent as everyone keeps to themselves, barely saying anything. I look up to see Michonne walk in with a big smile on her face.

"How long was I in there for?" She asks.

"Twenty minutes." Rick says, placing Judith in her crib.

"God, I could not stop brushing." She laughs.

Rick steps away from Judith towards Michonne who looks at Rick in wonder, "I've never seen your face like that." She chuckles.

"That's what I said. Before and after." He says, rubbing his face.

I look away over at Daryl, who sits by one of the windows by Judith. I stare at him as he looks into her cot, his trademark unreadable expression on his face. I wonder what he's thinking, is he thinking about us? The baby? A knock interrupts my thoughts and I sit up straight as Rick opens the door.

"Rick I-" Deanna begins before freezing, her eyes widening.

"Wow. I didn't know what was under there. Listen I didn't mean to interrupt, I wanted to stop by and see how your all settling..." She trails off, taking in our group in the one place.

"Oh my, staying together. Smart." She states.

"No one said we couldn't." Rick says.

"You said we're a family, that's what you said. It's absolutely amazing to me how people with completely different backgrounds and nothing in common can become that. Don't you think?" She asks.

"Everybody said you gave them jobs." Rick states.

She nods, "Yeah, part of this place. Looks like the communists won after all." She laughs.

"You didn't give me one." Rick says.

"I have, I just haven't told you yet. Same with Michonne. I'm closing in on something for Sasha. Gemma's a little reluctant but I'll pull her around. And I'm just trying to figure Mr Dixon out, I will. You look good." She says to Rick before turning and exiting the house, him closing the door behind her.

I roll my eyes and lay down on the lounge, pulling the blanket tightly around me. I close my eyes and try to drown out the noise, hoping that I'll get a decent nights sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I take deep breathes, trying to ease the nausea but it's too much. I lean over the toilet bowl and am violently sick another time. After awhile, I feel like there's nothing left to throw up and I flush the toilet. I stand up and look at my self in the mirror, seeing my pale and sweaty complexion. I wipe my hand over my mouth and wash it out with water. I hear a knock at the bathroom door.

"Come in." I call, my hands leaning against the sink.

The door opens and in the mirror I see its Maggie, "We're going out, you coming?"

I groan, "I can barely stand on my feet. I might sit this one out."

She nods her head, "Do you need anything?"

I shake my head slightly, "No, I'm fine thanks."

"Okay, we'll be back soon." She says.

"Okay, have fun." I reply.

She shuts the door behind her and soon I hear the sound of the front door closing. I turn the tap on and splash some cold water on my face. I soon exit the bathroom and stumble into one of the bedrooms down the hall. The room is clean and pristine, hard wood floors and timber furniture with white furnishings. I walk over to the bed and lay down, my hand cradling my stomach. I close my eyes and will the pain to go away.

I don't know how long it is later but I awake and take in my surroundings. The house is still quiet, meaning everyone is still out. I roll over and something falls off my face onto the bed. I sit up and pick up the object, realising it's a slightly damp cloth. I scrunch my eyebrows up in confusion and get up off the bed, heading downstairs. I hear something on the front porch and I open the door to see what it is. Daryl looks up for a moment from the arrows he's cleaning.

I look down at the cloth in my hand and back at him, "Did you do this?" I ask.

He looks at it before looking at his arrows, "Yeah."

"Thanks, that's really sweet." I say.

He shrugs his shoulders and continues cleaning his crossbow. I walk forward and take a seat on the top step, leaning against the railing. I look around at the neighbourhood and see how quiet and peaceful it is, making me somewhat nervous.

"How long have the others been gone?" I ask.

He shrugs, "A couple hours I guess."

"You didn't want to go with them?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "Why not?" I wonder.

He looks at me a moment and the look in his eyes almost makes me think it's because of me. I look down at my hands, "Do you think that this is it? That we can live here?" I look at him.

He remains quiet but looks at me and I continue, "I don't know, I feel like something is off about this place... But if I'm wrong and I hope I am, this could be a good place to live. To raise the baby."

I look down at my belly and smile, "They're getting stronger, I can feel it. They're going to be strong, built for this world. They're gonna be survivors, you know why? Because to have a father like you, they're going to be protected and safe as long as you are around." Looking him in the eye.

I look onto the street to avoid the intensity of his gaze, "I know that we aren't exactly where we used to be, but I know that despite everything you'll protect me. That despite the shit we've been dealt, I can rest easy knowing that you have my back. It's one of the many things I love about you. You're a good man Daryl and you know what? You're going to be a great Dad, whether you believe it or not." I say, suddenly tearing up.

I wipe my eyes and look at him, seeing the same old expression plaster on his face. I stand up from my spot on the porch, walking towards the door. I hold my hand on the door handle when I turn and speak to him, "I miss you."

I quickly open the door and close it behind me. I lean back against the door and release a breath that I didn't realise I was holding. I feel embarrassed for crying in front of him, yet relieved that I said what I've been feeling, what I've felt all along. I wipe my eyes again and walk into the kitchen, ready to make myself something for lunch.