Chapter 24

Gemma's P.O.V

"In there! Get him on the bed!" Rick commands as I tie my hair up and roll my sleeves up.

"What happened?" I ask as I follow them in.

"He got bit." Rick says.

"Oh my God, is he gonna turn?" Beth cries.

"Maybe you got it in time." Lori says.

"On three!" I command as we all take our place around him.

"One, two three!" I say as we lift him onto the bed.

My shoulder flares in pain but I ignore it as we set him on the bed. I kneel down by the stump and remove the towel they have on the wound to see it. The cut is haggard and the blood flows freely onto the bed.

"I need more bandages!" I command.

"We used all we had!" Glenn explains.

"Get more, anything!" I command as I push the towel back on.

"Carl go get the towels from my bag right next to the bed." Lori instructs.

"Is he gonna die?" Beth cries.

"He is going to be okay, Gemma's got this." Lori reassures her.

"Do you think you can stabilise it?" Rick asks.

"We need to keep his leg elevated, pillows!" I say, looking at the belt tied around his leg.

"He's already bled through the sheets." Maggie says.

"Burn the wound to clot the blood. I could start a fire." Glenn suggests.

"The shock could kill him, won't stop the arteries from bleeding. Get me some water!" I command as people come in with the pillows and towels.

"Maggie, put the pillows under his leg. Elevate the leg about twelve inches in the air. Carol hold the towels to the wound and soak up the blood until I'm ready." I command as I step back.

"What are you going to do?" Rick asks.

"I have to clean the wound to prevent infection and I have to place a tight tourniquet to stop the bleeding. Some one get some blankets and cover him to prevent him from going into shock!" I command. I hear Rick speaking to the rest of the group, but I ignore him and focus purely on Hershel.

"I got the water." Beth says, panting.

"Okay Beth, I'm going to need you to pour the water on when I tell you okay?" I say, looking into her eyes.

She stares at her father in dismay and I turn her attention back to me, "Beth, I need you to do this or he will die! You wanna learn? Now's your chance." I say as I undo my belt as I walk over to Hershel and remove the belt from his leg.

"Oh my God the blood!" Carol cries.

"I'm taking care of it. Keep holding he towel on! Beth hold his leg up." I command.

She rushes over and holds his leg up as I wrap the belt around his leg and pull it as tight as necessary. The blood begins to slow and I check his pulse, which is weak. I look over him for any other injuries but I don't see any. I only just notice the yelling from outside the cell block as I begin to clean his wound with the water.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"There are prisoners, found them in the cafeteria." Glenn says from the doorway.

"What?!" I demand as I continuing working his leg.

"Don't worry, Rick is handling it. Just look after Hershel." Lori says.