Thirty-One

Lyra was shocked when a letter from her mother arrived the following week with a parcel. Lyra opened it up to find the two presents she wanted. Sterling silver bracelets, one more masculine (a thick basket-weave design)  and one more feminine (a thin plaided chain of silver).

She quickly closed the box and opened the letter. Wondering if her mother would scowl her.

Dear Lyra,

You've ignored the letters I've sent. You haven't replied to any of my questions, and have remained distant. The only time you send a letter home is when you want something. I am very upset with you. I hope you grow out of this unacceptable phase.

You asked for charmed lover bracelets, and I have an inkling of why. Is that why you aren't sending letters home? Are you busy with a boy? You know your father would never approve of such a thing, but a little secret wouldn't hurt. Of course, you know it won't last. You will be married next summer. Tell me about this boy, is he in Slytherin? I hope so. The only other acceptable house would be Ravenclaw, but you know that will take convincing for your father to come to terms with. My first love was in Ravenclaw, you know. That's probably why he doesn't like them. Men. I better hear back from you. I hope you are remaining in good standing. No rumors of having no virtue.

- Mother

Lyra sighed as now she'd have to reply. She put that thought away in the meantime. Currently, she had to wrap her gift for her boyfriend. Oh, she couldn't wait.

She spent the night wrapping his gift. It didn't take long, she put a red bow on top. She hoped it wasn't too much. She heard rumors that his friends were throwing a party to celebrate the twins' birthday. No sign that she was invited, then again... it wasn't really clear if she was dating George in the first place.

She wondered if she'd have to give it to him ahead of time. She'd know soon enough. A few days before his birthday, he got Lyra alone in a spacious broom closet. She was pressed against the wall, her leg arched up. He held her head firmly to kiss her. It was more passionate than their other kisses by far. He unbuttoned her top and slid his hand inside, kneading her breast through the thin fabric. She let him take over, he liked being in charge. He started kissing her neck, then started sucking on her pulse, and her heart was beating erratic.

She felt such a strong pulse between her thighs, she alleviated the throbbing by grinding herself against his leg, letting out a soft whimper.

"Is that what you want?" He purred in her ear.

Before she could answer, she felt his hand go up her skirt. She felt keen on letting him. But she quickly grabbed his hand as he teased her by stroking her inner thigh.

"No," She breathed. "Not tonight. If you touch me, I'm not going to be able to be quiet. But I really want you to touch me."

"Such a conundrum." She heard him reply playfully, she could sense he was smiling. He lazily stroked her thigh.

"Your birthday, it's coming up." She replied hastily. Knowing how close she was to letting him take full control over her.

"Yes," He replied. "I'm going to be eighteen, quite exciting. I'm getting old."

She snorted. "No, you aren't. Are we going to still be together when you graduate? Will you visit me in the summer? Or in Hogsmeade?" She played with his tie, trying to distract herself.

"Yeah," He laughed. "Lyra, I don't plan on dumping you once I graduate." He leaned down to capture her lips once more.

"We'll see each other and send constant letters." She said as she felt his lips graze her jaw and trail down to her neck. She felt his fingers brushing the edge of her knickers. "A-and uh... We'll get a room at the inn." She smiled sheepishly.