24: Birthday Present

(May 12, 782)

"Niya, what are you doing?"

The saiyaness giggled and continued planting flowers in Lapis's shoulder length, jet black hair. "Nothing."

"It must be something if you're laughing like that," Lapis remarked, keeping his eyes closed. His head was resting on Niya's lap now that they returned to the pond. They were on his trench coat.

Niya smiled, admiring his calm and handsome face. She had never seen him so relaxed as to rest on her and close his eyes.

But then again, things were different now.

She smiled contently. Her and Lapis were together now.

Niya continued to stroke his hair, planting tiny flowers. "They're just flowers," she replied. "They look nice on you."

Lapis breathed a chuckle. "Make sure you take them out before you go."

"Why? I already said they look nice on you," Niya giggled.

"My sister won't have the same opinion."

Niya tensed a bit. She remembered the coldness in Eighteen's stare. "Is she always mean?"

Then, Lapis opened his eyes. "I wouldn't say that. She knows how to have fun," he replied, his hands folded over his stomach. His tone was still relaxed. "She just doesn't like...people."

Lapis slightly shifted as he almost said his sister didn't like humans. That would be a strange thing to say. He couldn't reveal that part of himself. Hopefully not ever.

"She doesn't seem like a people person," Niya tilted her head, completely clueless of Lapis's hesitation.

"Yeah. She's not."

"Are you a people person?"

Lapis felt abnormally calm and generous. But then again, he always did with Niya, and especially now that she was his.

"Not really," he replied simply. "People annoy me. My sister still annoys me, but less than people. And you," he glanced up to meet her eyes, "don't annoy me much at all."

Niya's face warmed up. "Well, if I did, I guess you wouldn't want to keep meeting me, right?"

"Yeah. I would never want to stop meeting you, Niya."

She smiled, feeling fluttery inside. "I don't want that either," she said before leaning down to kiss him.

It was gentle and light since her lips were curved into a smile.

Lapis chuckled and pulled her down onto him.

Niya gasped as she fell onto him. She was so startled, she landed on her palms and knees, her body just grazing his. Her face was red as she stared down at his amused expression.

"What? Are you feeling shy now?"

Niya bit her lip, embarrassed. "N—No."

Lapis sat up so their chests were pressed against each other's, forcing her to sit on his lap and grip his shoulders. His hands rested on her waist.

There was a spark in his eyes that Niya hadn't seen before: mischief.

In this position, Lapis had to look up at her a bit, but it was clear he was still in control.

"This alright?"

Niya's heart could not have thumped harder against her ribs. It was so hard to think and form words with all her hormones going crazy. She didn't trust her voice. "Mhm," she lightly nodded.