29: Fire with Fire

(August, 782)

"Are you going to keep it?"

For some reason, Niya felt angry that those were Seventeen's first words in response, but she had to admit it was a valid question.

"No," she replied, not sure of the decision herself. "I can't." If she didn't have his child, then there would be no other reason for him to feel obligated to see her.

"Don't I get a say?" Seventeen asked, stepping closer. "It's my kid, too."

Niya tensed. "What's your say? What do you think I should do then?"

Seventeen walked closer until he was right in front of her and crouched. Their eyes met, and Niya almost melted at his gentle blue eyes. "Let's keep it," he replied calmly. "We can be a family," he lightly smiled.

As much as Niya loved the idea of having a child with Lapis, she couldn't, because he was not Lapis—he was Android Seventeen.

She began to shake her head, but she gasped when Seventeen placed a hand on her stomach. "With this baby," he began, "we can start over. We can be happy."

Niya was horrified. "Are you...hearing yourself?" her wide eyes stared in disbelief at him. "You lied to me. You're the reason the world is like this. You're an Android!"

"And you're a saiyan," Seventeen slightly frowned. "You lied to me, too."

Niya had to admit she had lied as well. But, there was a major difference. She scowled at him, "But I don't kill people."

Seventeen flinched, as if he were surprised by the accusation.

She held her scowl as she pulled his hand off of her stomach. "We can't just magically erase the past and be this...'happy family' like you want!" she insisted.

To her surprise and agony, Seventeen seemed hurt at her words. "I've accepted who you are and that you lied to me," he said, "because I love you."

Niya felt her eyes begin to water.

"I love you," Seventeen repeated. "Can't you accept me? Don't you love me?"

Tears slipped Niya's face. Her heart was a broken mess after the revelation, and now she had to live through those same emotions again. "Seventeen...," she cried.

The Android stared patiently at her, and he slowly began to reach over to caress her stomach.

"Get away from her!!"

Seventeen flinched and retracted his hand. At the sight of Ken-La, he stepped back.

The short saiyaness stormed over and slapped him straight across the face.

Seventeen was taken aback, as it managed to turn his head.

"You're Seventeen, aren't you? The Android man who thinks he can play around with whoever he wants to?" Ken-La glared. "Well, I'm here to tell you that you can't! Stay away from my niece or else I promise to kill you, just like your kind killed Natu!"

Niya was in awe of her Aunt's threat. It was loud and full of anger.

Seventeen turned back to face her with a deathly glare.

Ken-La immediately backed away and helped Niya to her feet. "We're leaving." She hurriedly began to lead them away, but in a flash, Seventeen appeared in front of them.

"I'm going with you," he declared. "I was serious before. I'm prepared to be a father to the kid." He had a composed demeanor, expression calm. But his voice threatened command.