42: Unexpected Companion

Niya laid on the edge side of the bed so Niko wouldn't fall in case he rolled. She sighed and gently played with his floofy hair. He was peacefully sleeping, unlike her.

She thought about when her and Trunks used to share a bed sometimes. It was comforting resting beside her best friend, and... the man she loved.

She cringed at her own anger, of the way she shouted at him. She snapped from her frustration, and accidentally took it out on Trunks. Right when they were about to kiss, too. She had yearned for his kisses several times, especially those times when they were interrupted.

Niya pressed her fingers to lips with her free hand. He wanted to kiss her... Despite everything, did he still love her the way she now loved him?

She remembered when Gohan told her Trunks was hopelessly in love with, despite her being pregnant with Seventeen's child. He had wished the child was his own instead of the Android's.

She remembered not loving Trunks romantically then. Toxic love still existed between herself and Seventeen. She had loved Trunks as her best friend, but even back then, she would have preferred her son to be his.

Niya bit her thumb. Things had changed once again. Although she was over the top with her words, she was grieving her son. Grieving his fate. She did not want a kiss to magically make everything better. But she knew Trunks was only trying to make her feel secure. But the trapping of a kiss made her remember Seventeen's manipulative ways, and she snapped.

She didn't want to be a woman who relied on a man. She wanted to be strong through her own fruition. She didn't want to be rescued. But Trunks knew this. He knew she was strong.

And yet, he always claimed he would save her, and he had multiple times.

He fought hard and trained to the brink of consciousness. It was selfish to say that it was for her when she knew that Trunks had such a big heart, he wanted to save everyone. He strived for peace, for happiness, and for love. He was kinda beyond belief and even a bit recklessly brave.

But Niya loved all of this. It was painful seeing him try to carry the world on his shoulders, and she did her best to share the weight. Trunks always trudged on, and she could only imagine being half as great as he was.

She shut her eyes tight. What did Trunks think of her now?

~~~

Trunks woke up the next morning gently rubbing his eyes. He sat up and got ready for the day before heading outside to train. His focus remained in the power before him, always striving for greater heights. He would not let up until the Androids were defeated.

Everyday he would see people suffering, homeless, injured—all because the Androids. It had to come to an end. He would end it. Gohan left this task to him, and he would see it through. No matter what.

"Ha!!" Trunks yelled, moving his hands around quickly to concentrate energy. "Burning Attack!" he fired a massive explosion that leveled everything in front of him in a circle.

He narrowed his eyes, handing still in place. Would it be good enough against the Androids? he wondered. No..., he grit his teeth. Probably not...

"That's a sure strong attack."

Trunks flinched and turned around. "Niya? How long have you been there?"

She lightly smiled. "Long enough to see your attack."

He didn't return the smile. "I see. Did you wanna train together, or something?" He didn't want to waste time with distractions.

Niya clenched her fists. "Fight me, Trunks."