50: Calm Before the Storm

The next morning, light shone in through the white curtains. Trunks was facing them, so his eyelids twitched and blinked open, awake. His eyes widened at the embrace keeping him in place.

His expression softened and he smiled fondly at Niya's sleeping face. She slept calmly with steady breaths, a light smile on her lips.

Trunks couldn't help but caress her cheek. This beautiful, strong woman was his wife. He had never woken up with such pride before.

Soon, Niya's tail twitched along with her nose. Her smile widened at Trunks' caress. "Trunks..."

He pulled back with a gasp. "Oh no, did I wake you?"

"Sort of," she giggled and opened her sparkling wide eyes at him. Her fingers glided up his chest to cup his face. "Good morning," she smiled.

Trunks returned it, melting into her hands. "Good morning."

Niya reached up and gently kissed him, content.

Trunks wrapped his arms around her waist, quietly moaning into her lips. He slowly began to climb on top of her.

She giggled into his lips, slipping her hands into his hair. "We have to go pick up Niko," she said between kisses.

"In a minute," he insisted, kissing down her jaw and on her neck. His hands ran down her hips and grasped her thighs.

Niya gave a shaky gasp. "Trunks...," she tried holding back her desire to press against him.

"I want to be with you longer," Trunks kissed back up her neck to her jaw before pulling back. He studied her expression. "But, I know that you miss Niko."

She furrowed her brows. "I do. He's my baby."

He smiled. "I know. He's the most precious person to you."

She nodded lightly.

He chuckled and sat up to change into some casual clothes—navy jeans, a white shirt, and a gray, Capsule Corp jacket. "Am I at least your second most precious person?"

Niya sorted through what to wear and settled on some jean shorts and red Capsule Corp shirt. She bit her lip and sat in front of a mirror, brushing her messy and tangled hair. She winced.

Trunks turned to her at her silence. "I'm not second...?"

She sighed and turned to him, smiling apologetically. "The kids come first," she replied. "Niko and Noemi. They're the most precious to me. So after them, would be you."

"Oh. Of course. I understand," he lightly smiled and nodded.  "They're good kids."

"They're good kids that you've helped me raise," she added. "I wouldn't have been able to do it all without you," she smiled. "They're who I want to protect, and they need me. I want to protect you too, but I know you can do that on your own. So you see, I care about you in a different way. I don't think it's right to say you're less precious, so... please don't be sad."

Trunks blushed in surprise but smiled. "I know, Niya. I don't doubt your feelings for me, and it doesn't make me sad you put those kids first. I'd protect them from anything, too."

Niya smiled brightly. "I'm glad. Our small family has to stick together."

He went over and hugged her. "I know. We will."

She breathed him in. At a sudden image, she blushed at a sudden thought and pulled back. "We should get going. I want take Niko out for breakfast."

"Good idea," Trunks smiled. "I'm hungry."

Niya returned it and held his hand. She then blushed as she remembered, "Um. What are we going to do about the car?"