11: Inside the Heart

Their lips were connected for a long moment before Trunks' hand on Niya's hip pushed her back. He began to sit up, and she pulled away to sit beside him. They both said nothing as they tried to calm themselves down -- not that they knew what to say in the first place.

Trunks kept trying to say something, but only his mouth opened and lips moved. What would he say? How would they move on from the kiss? What did the kiss mean? He wanted to shrug it off, but his racing heart was telling him otherwise.

Did he want to be more than friends? He looked at Niya, who was looking down. If they were, would he be happy with that? Is that something he wanted?

As Niya looked up shyly to meet his eyes, Trunks' heart melted. She was so beautiful in that moment. Her disheveled hair, her shy demeanor, her sparkling, onyx eyes, and her pretty, pink lips squeezed at his heart. She was breathtaking.

Trunks felt the edges of his lips begin to twitch up in a smile. He reached for her right wrist, but as he clasped it and locked his fingers in hers, she reached to her left for one of the Chance cards that were sprawled on the floor and held it up to his face.

"This your card?!" Niya asked suddenly.

Trunks blinked in surprise. His heart sank, and he suddenly felt like an idiot. Of course she wouldn't feel the same way. How could he think she did? He hadn't seen her in almost a year. Some audacity he had to wish for something more so quickly.

He gave a dry laugh and nodded. "Yeah," he lied, "You got it."

Niya hurriedly tried to fix her hair and pulled it behind her ears. "I see," she nodded, sounding breathless. She turned the card around, "It say... 'Give fifty to each player'... That not very bad. You are dramatic!"

That wasn't the card picked. He originally picked a card that made him pay for each house he had -- and he had a lot -- so the bill would've been high.

Trunks simply nodded. "Yeah. I am."

The saiyan girl noticed her friend's sudden lack of enthusiasm and his dejected voice. What she had done was wrong, wasn't it? Trunks was pushing her away because he didn't want to kiss her, right? Now he was confused and probably contemplating their friendship.

Niya wanted to slap herself. How could she think to kiss him? How could she jeopardize their friendship when they had just been reunited? Once again, she had ruined everything.

She looked down, biting her thumb in anxiousness. Then she peaked at her friend, but felt her face grow warm as she met his soft blue eyes. She looked back down at her feet, trying to slow her suddenly racing heart.

What was she feeling? Why was her heart racing like so? What did it mean?

She thought his lips. They were warm, but tense. Then she thought his hand that started on her upper side, then slid to her hip. She thought about how she laid on top of him, and felt his heart race, felt his body heat seep into her.

As Niya thought about him, all she could really focus on was his warmth. She realized she never wanted it to go away.

A hand on her shoulder made Niya flinch but look up. Trunks met her eyes once more. Their sparkling softness made her feel almost breathless.

"Niya...," he began.

"Yes?" she breathed. They were leaning into each other.

"Niya, I think that I--"

A pair of footsteps alarmed the saiyans, so they focused instead on picking up the scattered Chance cards. The person stopped a few feet away.

"Time for cake, kids," Natu told them.