56: The End of an Era

During their flight, Niya was quiet with a pensive look.

Trunks looked over at her. She could never bring herself to fight 17. She figured it would cause problems and make their situation harder. If they were on "good terms," the Androids would be more lenient and less aggressive. It had worked so far. But it would end today.

At some point in her life, however, she had loved 17. He was even the father of her child.

Trunks thought of what to say. "You could head back," he suggested. "I can handle them on my own."

Niya furrowed her brows. "No," she said. "I... I have to fight him. I have to end it." She felt guilty for having a relationship with a monster. And most of all, she felt guilty for causing Trunks so much pain.

"Okay," Trunks lightly nodded at her response. "Okay. We'll take them on."

"Together," Niya turned to him. "Because we're a team, right?" She gave him a smile.

Trunks returned it, "Yeah. That's right."

Niya then looked straight ahead. "So, let's finish this."

Trunks did the same. "Right."

They both powered up to fly faster towards the city in trouble.

× × ×

"Stop!"

17 flinched and froze. He had a gun pressed onto an old man's head, ready to shoot. He turned his eyes to see Niya and Trunks. He frowned, filling with anger.

"So," 17 started, standing up, "you finally showed up."

18 had halted her ki blasts and turned to the couple as well. She crossed her arms with an annoyed look.

"Yeah," Niya took a few steps closer. "I'm back."

17 scoffed. "You're in Super Saiyan," he noted. "What? You've come back to fight me? What will the kid think?"

Niya swallowed hard. "He'll be better off without you," she told him. "We all will."

17 was taken aback, but then laughed, "You can't beat us." He stopped when he saw her and Trunks' serious expressions. "Huh. So, you really wanna fight."

Niya replied with silence. There was no objection.

17 gave a small laugh through his nose and holstered his gun. "Alright, Niya," he began, "I really didn't want it to come to this. Such a shame you're gonna leave the kid motherless, but we'll be fine without you."

Niya clenched her fists. She wanted to scream at him, but she took a deep breath to calm herself. She was different now, better. "I wish it hadn't come to this either."

17 snickered and moved to attack her. 18 did the same towards Trunks.

Niya sidestepped to dodge 17's punch and grabbed his arm to flip him down onto the ground.

17 retched at the impact. His body dented the ground beneath them from the power of the attack. He grit his teeth, but got back to his feet. He readied his fists.

"Were you hiding all this strength from me?" 17 panted. He was surprised at how damaged he was.

Before he could get a response, an explosion went off, forcing him to cover his face with his forearms. When it faded, his eyes widened to see Trunks standing unscathed with a palm aiming. Metal parts scattered and fell around them.

Trunks turned to him, making 17 take a step back in fear.

"Eighteen...," 17 was taken aback. "You... You killed her! Impossible!"