3: Let's Be Friends

A few days had passed and still no visit from the strange human Trunks. Niya moped around everywhere, hoping he would spot her and say hello. It was strange. The nine-year-old had never truly felt boredom until then. She realized how terribly lonely she was.

Inside the lodge was her mother and her Aunt Ken-La (Auntie LaLa). Her mother, Makona, was always very sick, and the trouble began shortly after Niya was born. Auntie LaLa was a half-saiyan that specialized in Healing and Medicine Ki Training. It was diffcult to use your Ki for healing properties because of how precise you had to be and because it drained your Life Force. In short, it would kill the Healer if they overexerted themselves.

Niya always admired Auntie LaLa's impressive durability, skill, and dedication she used on Makona each time she got sick. Even though Makona and Ken-La were only half-sisters, they shared a special bond and cared tremendously for the other.

Natu and Kusuke were the ones to run errands and were the source of income. They would take turns working each day. And that day, it was their father's turn.

Ken-La was treating Makona, and Kusuke was resting. It just occurred to Niya that they had always left her to her own devices. Her days consisted of staying clear of the adults; she only lived with adults. Her brother was thirteen years older than her, so he was twenty-two.

She wanted to ask Kusuke to play with her, and she sometimes did, but when he arrived the day before, he seemed wearier than usual. He entered with all sorts of bruises and a terrible darkness in his eyes. They were filled with hate and anger. Niya was so taken aback that she didn't even say hello.

And there was no use in pestering her Auntie at work. When she walked up the stairs to her parents' bedroom and edged closer to the door, she heard Makona shouting and bawling. Niya was petrified, but forced herself to creak the door open slightly. Without making a sound, she peered in. Ken-La kneeled in front of Makona, blocking most of her body. Her hands were on Makona's stomach, illuminating a bright, glittery red. Makona had her head thrown back, holding back cries of pain. Her arms were out at her sides, digging her nails into the carpet floor. Her head shook from side to side and stopped to her left. Makona's eyes weakly opened.

Niya widened her eyes as she met her mother's eyes. She held in a gasp when she saw they looked so lifeless, weak.

Makona looked like she was going to say something, but Niya hurried away as quickly as she could.

That had happened about two months ago, when Niya had just turned nine. Her scarring memories sent shivers down her spine.

The currently crimson headed girl swung softly on her swing. Her furry brown tail laid limp behind her, gracing the green grass.

"Hey."

Niya's heart skipped a beat as she turned around. Her eyes met his, and she smiled, "Konnichiwa."

The lavender haired boy curiously tilted his head to the side. "Does that mean 'hello'?"

She nodded.

Trunks sheepishly scratched the back of his neck. "Well... Konnichiwa."

Niya giggled, "Good job!"

"Thanks," he blushed.

"A--ri--ga--tou," Niya encouraged.

Trunks remembered that word he couldn't say. He repeated, "Ahrigatouu." He used 'Ah' instead of just 'A' and stretched out the 'u' in 'tou'. But he was close enough.

The girl gestured for Trunks to sit down in front of her. He obliged. He felt awkward considering they could hardly communicate. "So... You don't know any English?"