63: World of the Kais

(May, Age 789)

"Mama, where's Papa?"

Niya was lying on the sofa, trying to calm her nausea. She slowly sat up. "Papa is training."

"Where?" Touka walked up to her.

"On the World of the Kais."

"Where's that?"

Niya chuckled, realizing her daughter was going to keep asking. She lifted her and set her on her lap. "In space. Up in the sky."

Touka curiously looked out the large windows to see the blue sky. "Why?"

The mother held her close and sighed. "He needs to get stronger."

"Why?"

Niya rubbed her head. "Because Papa is a hero, and he's going to defeat a bad guy."

Touka smiled. "Papa is strong."

"He's very strong," she smiled back.

"When is Papa coming back?"

Niya's smile faltered.

Before Trunks left with Shin and Kibito, they agreed that Shin would bring Trunks whenever Trunks wanted to. It had been two days so far and nothing. She found it selfish to miss him, but she hoped he would visit soon for Touka.

"Soon," Niya assured.

Touka's blue eyes saddened. "Oh, okay," she hugged her.

The mother kissed her head and cuddled with her daughter.

~~~

They were asleep together when Niko found them after he'd come home from school. He watched them sleep on the couch for a moment before grabbing and setting a blanket over them.

Niko then decided to leave them alone and heat up some left overs from the fridge to eat.

He then settled to quietly working on his homework at the table in the living room while his mother and sister slept.

After a knock on the door, Niko looked up and sensed. He gasped before hurrying to the door.

"Trunks!"

The step-father smiled down at him. "Hi."

Niko moved to let him in before holding a finger to his lips at Trunks. "Shh! Mom and Touka are sleeping."

Trunks nodded and hurried past him to see his favorite girls on the sofa. He smiled as he looked down at them.

"Mom is kinda sick," Niko informed him. "She kinda just stays on the couch or in her bed."

His smile faltered. "I know. Your mother is pregnant, so she's going to be sick for a while..."

"So my baby brother is making her sick?"

Trunks couldn't help but chuckle. "No. Well, kind of. It's hard to explain."

"So I'm having a brother?" Niko looked up at him.

Trunks blinked before realizing he didn't correct him. "We're not sure yet."

"When will you know?"

"That's up to your mother," he replied.

"Okay."

Trunks patted his head. "Do you wanna train with me meanwhile?"

Niko gave a curious look. "Like, fight training?"