26: Persevere

(June 782)

"I know what was going on between you and Dad."

Ken-La flinched. "What...What do you mean?"

Kusuke glanced down at his Aunt, weary. "I know you two were together," he elaborated. "I know you two liked each other. Even before Mom died."

The saiyaness swallowed hard. She had loved Natu since she had first met him. He was so brave. He was so kind.

Back then, they were under a different threat: Lord Freeza.

Back then, she had realized she was a bastard heir of the Saiyan King Consort.

Hence her green eyes. Hence her small physique. Hence her Half-Saiyan-ness.

Unacknowledged by the married King Consort and abandoned by who knew what her mother was, she was an orphan.

She was quiet. She was weak. She lacked courage.

Until suddenly she was needed.

After Freeza destroyed Planet Vegeta, Planet Ayata was surely next. And in his clutches, he had captured Princess Makona, imprisoned Queen Miyako—whom everyone presumed to have died in who knows what prison Freeza sent her to—and he murdered her father, the treasonous King Consort who gave up Makona and the Red Jewel to Freeza to save his own skin.

Even after death, he was condemned for ratting out the Ayatan Saiyans' plan of escape from annihilation from the tyrant. Many Ayatan Saiyans lost their lives in attempts to flee, but in the end, they escaped Freeza's clutches, along with Ken-La. A royal official had known she was the King Consort's bastard, the only royal heir they had left, and saved her.

It was an incredible shock to Ken-La, to find out she was important, that she was a Princess, that everyone would turn to her now as their Queen.

Ken-La had never been good at anything, but when was introduced to healing basics, she quickly excelled from student to master. Healing became her specialty along with defense strategies like barriers and shields.

With the help of other skilled Saiyans, Ken-La would put up barriers around their camps, keeping them out of sight from spaceship radars.

The day she met Natu was when Saiyan scouts recovered his body at the brink of death. Only someone of her skill could bring him back, and she did.

She would never forget how he opened his eyes and smiled his charming smile at her, "It looks like...I'm the damsel in distress this time..."

Ken-La couldn't help but laugh. She had immediately taken a liking to him.

After Natu rested a while, he told them of what had happened to him. He told them that because his father had disrespected Lord Freeza, they were both forced as servants, or more like slaves, for Freeza to mostly beat on when he was bored or frustrated. His father soon died, but Natu lived, and eventually became a servant who served the hostaged Princess Makona.

Ken-La ached as Natu went on about his and Makona's forbidden love. He explained that upon Freeza discovering the relationship, he tried to have him killed.

And so, Natu did his best to survive after Freeza's lackies tried to kill him. He was lucky to have been found by his fellow Saiyan kind.

Natu wouldn't stop going on and on about his need to return and save Makona, her very not dead step-sister, the true heir to the throne.

Ken-La remembered feeling guilty of her envy for Makona, jealous. For once, she was finally needed, and for years she did her best to prove herself as useful and fair.