10: New Adventures Await

It was nighttime, but Niya insisted on finding something for the young man, 17. She thought about how strange he was. First of all, his name was a number. She wondered why that was so. Second, why was he so mean? Niya understood how rude it was to disturb animals in their natural habitat, but she had explained how sorry she was. She didn't know it was under watch of some sort of ranger. Niya thought that perhaps that's what the R stood for.

Then, Niya thought about the blonde woman, whom 17 called '18'. She hadn't been able to see her face. She wondered who 18 was to 17. They both shared numbered for names, and sequential as well. The two, especially 17, were intriguing to her. She thought about how 17 looked at her as he passed her on the ride. Did he recognize her? There was no way, right? Well, she dressed the same way, with the same hair style, but her eyes and hair were crimson. Could he see through her?

Niya began to shake her head. Why was she asking herself so many questions? Why couldn't she stop thinking about 17? Perhaps because it was so strange. She lived in a world where everything was routine, and 17 was not a part of that routine. He was different; He was new. Niya liked new.

She blushed at the memory of him seeing her in her undergarments. Even so, it seemed like he didn't care. All she sensed from him was anger and annoyance. Would it make him angry if she went to visit him again? Niya's blush faded, and her lips fell into a sad frown. She wanted to have new friends and explore the world. She wanted to make a difference, to see the world before the Androids began their reign of terror. She wanted to spread love and kindness and happiness and hope. But, she also wanted to live in peace among the Earthlings.

Niya sighed, but then stopped flying as she spotted a giant vehicle. She quickly landed in front of it and inspected it, walking around it cautiously and curiously. It stood on six spider-like machine legs, and above it, was its oval-like body. It was painted in jet black and crimson, except the colors were faded, it seemed, with age. Overall, the vehicle was a rusted brown with deep green moss. It was tilting to the right and groaned quietly every few moments, as if it weakly crying out for help.

As Niya walked around it, she noticed a faint crimson glow near a door-shaped entrance. It was a tiny, crimson, beeping glow that seemed to glowed brighter the longer she stared at it. The girl froze, eyes locked on the crimson light. She felt her heart begin to race and gasped as she couldn't move her body. Through her peripheral vision, she saw the crimson aura wisps of her Phase Zero form. Her eyes and hair took on the rich color as she stood there, fully transformed, staring into the bright light. Then, the door outline, slid open, causing the vehicle to shake and groan loudly. At last, Niya could move again, and the aura around her faded, but she remained in Phase Zero. The light by the door had stopped blinking.

Fascinated yet uneasy, Niya flew up and in through the door opening. As she entered, the lights flicked on with a buzzing struggle, and her surroundings were visible. The white floor had a simple pattern of squares, the walls were a soft pink, and there was little to no furniture. There was a table, some chairs, and a stiff-looking couch. There were also doors along the walls, but Niya was unsure whether they were bedrooms, bathrooms, or whatever other rooms. The double doors ahead of her was what caught her attention, so she walked towards it.

Again, there was a crimson, blinking by the doors, but it didn't have the same affect on her as last. As Niya neared the doors, the simply slid open, revealing two seats with buckles and a panel with many buttons. There was glass for a huge window in front of here, but it was all covered in moss from the outside. Curiously, Niya neared the panel and saw another crimson light blinking from one of the buttons. Just as she was about to press the button, she was stopped.

With a gasp, Niya was turned to face the frown of her father. "D-Dad?" she questioned in their saiyan language, eyes wide. "How did you--?"

Natu pulled his daughter in for an embrace. "Oh, Niya," he sighed into the top of her head. "I was so worried you would get yourself into trouble, and you almost did, if I hadn't stopped you in time."