4: I'll Be There

During the new game of Jenga with Natu, Trunks began to feel sickly uncomfortable. Niya still had a father... But, why her and not him? Bulma wouldn't often speak of his father, only when he asked about him. Even so, she only said a few things.

What was this feeling in his chest?

Was it sadness?

Was it disappointment?

Was it... jealousy?

How could such negative feelings have emerged so quickly? He just made a friend! Would this already be the end? Trunks felt guilty for what he was feeling. Natu seemed like such a nice person, and not to mention, a wonderful father. But he didn't know how much more he could handle of Niya in Natu's arms like the happy family they were.

"Hey, Trunks? You doing all right there, kiddo?" Natu asked, a brow raised.

His vision focused on the Saiyans in front of him. They both had worried expressions. Trunks turned away. He couldn't meet their eyes; they'd see right through the lie he was about to tell. And besides, he knew their immeasurable kindness would make him feel terrible.

"No, I... I think I should go back home now...," he mumbled, his throat raspy and dry. Trunks stood. "I don't want my Mom to worry again."

"Aww...," Niya whined. "Follow!"

Niya stood and skipped outside, expecting Trunks to follow. But before he did, he turned to Natu, who sat with a kind smile. "Thank you for letting me stay, Natu. I greatly appreciate it," he said.

Natu smiled. "No problem! I'm just glad Niya has a friend her age. Especially one with the patience to deal with her terrible English. You're welcome to stop by anytime."

The ache in his chest worsened. Trunks swallowed the lump in his throat, then walked out where Niya had skipped. She was patiently waiting for him, admiring the setting sun.

Was it really so late? Oh gosh, his mother was going to kill him. He sighed.

Niya turned to him, smiling brightly like always. "So beautiful. But I sad because I no see the night sky." Her smile faltered.

Right. Niya had a Saiyan's tail. If she were to look at the moon, she would become a Great Ape. His mother told him she witnessed it herself when Goku was younger. They stopped Goku from almost killing them by chopping off his tail.

"That sucks," Trunks smirked. "The sky is really pretty at night. I bet it looks even better since you're far from the city."

Niya pouted miserably, "Mean!" She stuck her tongue out at him.

Trunks laughed. "I'm sorry. You're so easy to tease."

She punched him softly on the shoulder, still a little upset. "Mean."

He rubbed his shoulder. For some reason, it sorta hurt. Well, Niya was a Saiyan after all. It was still mind boggling that he'd met a Saiyan family. It was really, really cool. A light blush settled on his face.

Niya gazed him curiously. "What?"

Trunks smiled at her, "I'm glad you exist."

The tailed Saiyan didn't understand the word 'exist'. Her head tilted, confused.

Oh, wow, Trunks blushed. Did he really say that? But... it seemed like she didn't understand. Thank goodness! "Um. Nothing, nothing! I'm glad we're friends, Niya," he rushed, "But, yeah, I gotta go home now! Bye! See ya later!" And with that, he blasted off.

When Niya returned to her father, he had finished cleaning up and storing away the Jenga pieces. He heard the soft click of the door then turned to face his perplexed daughter. They went back to speaking their own language.