21: Bonds

[[A/N: Uploading schedule changed to over the Weekend. Meaning I may upload on: Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Sorry for being so inconsistent. I have a lot of things on my mind ^^"]]

(January, 781)

That morning, and the next few days, Niya couldn't shake off just exactly what she had dreamt about and what it meant. She found herself thinking about it quite often, and blushed deeply each time.

Why did it feel so... nice? Niya wondered, hugging her knees to her chest so she could hide her burning face. The way he touched her, kissed her, made her feel...

It was unlike anything she had ever imagined or experienced before. Then... how could she dream it?

Niya groaned and rubbed her head. Dreams are so strange, she thought.

"Is there something bothering you?"

Niya looked up to see it was her father. He was looking better each time she saw him. Her mother's death definitely had a toll on him, and he became more reserved and not so happy go-lucky ever since. But over the months, he had slowly recovered.

Natu kneeled in front of his daughter, his brows furrowed in worry. That was something he was always asking her when he saw her, along with 'Are you okay?'.

Niya gave a small nod and rubbed her warm cheeks.

Natu studied her before giving a light smile. "You can go back to Capsule Corp if you really miss them, you know."

"Hm?" Niya gave a curious look.

"I'm sure you miss Trunks," Natu told her with a small, teasing smile.

At his name, Niya fumbled with her fingers. During his birthday, they had talked. And they had agreed to forget about the kiss because Niya felt conflicted about her emotions. She told Trunks that she treasured his friendship, and liked things the way they were. She was glad he understood, and even said it was better that way as well. But still, she felt things were a bit awkward.

Natu gave a curious look, as he noticed his daughter didn't blush or tell him to stop teasing. "Is there something going on?" he asked more seriously.

What could Niya say? She took a deep breath. "Trunks and I... we broke up," she lied, since everyone thought they were dating.

Her father gasped. How could he not tell? he wondered. Had he been so absorbed in his own sorrow to not see it in his daughter? "Oh, Princess," he pulled her into a tight hug, "I'm so sorry."

Niya leaned into him. It was a lie, but she still felt sadness clutch at her heart. "I'm okay, Dad," she assured into the crook of his neck.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Natu gently asked, rubbing her back.

"No," Niya replied quietly. "There's nothing to say. Trunks and I... We're just better as friends. That's it."

Natu leaned down to kiss the top of her head. "I thought you guys were a nice couple, but alright. If that's what you and Trunks want."

The saiyaness lightly nodded.

"Still," her father started, "it's okay to be sad. I know you love Trunks."

Niya felt her eyes slowly widen. Did she...?

"You two are best friends. It can be easy to mistake friendship love with romantic love," Natu further explained.

Niya felt herself relax a bit. Yes, that was it. She loved Trunks as her best friend. She must have been confusing it with romantic love. That would make things easier.